Recently, Ms. Ashwini Bhide, Managing Director of Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRCL) along with Mr. Subodh Gupta, Director (Projects) and Mr. Rajeev Director (Systems) visited the Aarey Car Depot and reviewed the progress.
They inspected the civil work of Aarey station building, Track, MEP, OCS & STPT. With 9 Aqualine trains required for Phase 1 operations already stationed at the depot the field teams have been instructed to expedite the depot work in order to commission the first phase of Metro 3 at the earliest. The work as of now is 79.1% completed.
In a bid to speed up the work on the ambitious Metro-3 project, Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRCL) floated a tender for the civil and other development work at the Metro Car Depot at Aarey Colony, Goregaon. The move is aimed to support the work on the 32.5 Km long Colaba-Bandra-Seepz underground metro.
Project in Brief:
- Mumbai Metro Line – 3 (MML – 3) is one of such key projects to improve the transportation scenario in the financial capital of India i.e. Mumbai. MML-3 project – 33.5Km a long corridor running along Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ, envisages to decongest the traffic situation in Greater Mumbai. Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRC) is the nodal agency responsible for the implementation of Mumbai Metro Line–3 (MML-3) project. It has been constituted as a JV of the Govt. of India (GOI) and the Government of Maharashtra (GOM) on a 50:50 sharing basis.
- It aims to provide a Mass Rapid Transit System that would supplement the inadequate suburban railway system of Mumbai by bringing the metro closer to the doorsteps of the people. With full-scale operations of MML-3, the city would witness significant reduction in traffic volumes and the local transit facility would get a boost.
- The MML-3 would bring multiple benefits such as comfortable Air conditioned travel for more than 16 lakh commuters daily, reduction in travel time, reduction in air & noise pollution, improving safety & security of the citizens etc.
- Upon completion, this fully underground corridor with 27 stations would connect Six business districts, 30 educational institutes, 30 recreational facilities and domestic as well as international airport terminals. It will have five interchange points for suburban railway and one each for Monorail and ‘Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar’ Metro-1.
- MML-3 has been envisioned to be the modern transport of the 21st century. State-of-the-art technologies would be harnessed during the construction of the project to ensure protection to existing building structures.
- To ensure no trespassing on tracks, the stations would be provided with Platform Screen Doors. The stations would also be facilitated with automatic fare collection machines for contactless revenue collection.
- The challenges are many since connectivity and comfort come at a price. Aim of Mumbai Metro Line 3 project is to proudly herald in a new era by making the travel in Mumbai a comfortable, reliable and pleasurable experience.
Source: MMRCL | Images Credit: MMRCL