Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC) on August 19, 2020 completed 1.5-km long tunnel beneath Mithi River. Terratec-made Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) Godavari-4 completed the upline stretch of 1.5-km from BKC to Dharavi.
- Godavari-4, was commissioned on August 21, 2019 from BKC launching shaft and shaped the tunnel with 1,043 RCC rings up to Dharavi.
- This is 29th breakthrough on the Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ Metro-3 corridor.
“Notwithstanding the fact that the project is challenging; with high water tables and complex geology, I am happy that our team has accomplished the assigned task despite Covid-19 related restrictions’’, said Mr. Ranjit Singh Deol, Managing Director, MMRC.
- Earlier in March this year, Godavari-3 had completed the downline tunnel of 1.5-km from BKC to Dharavi.
- Out of the total 3-km (Up and Downline) stretch from BKC to Dharavi, 484-meter tunnel lies below the active Mithi river channel.
- Package-5 which consists of Dharavi, BKC, Vidyanagari and Santacruz stations has completed the entire tunnelling of 8-km.
- MMRC has now completed 85% of tunnelling with the help of 17 TBMs and about 59% of overall construction work.
Source: MMRC-Press Release