In a significant move, Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRCL) is propelling Nagpur Metro’s expansion with a floated tender for the Design and Construction of Elevated Metro Viaduct in Reach-2B of the Phase-2 Project.
Brief about Tender Submission:
Name of the Work: Design and Construction of Elevated Metro Viaduct of length 5.9 km between Ch. (-) 7577.056 m to Ch. (-) 13457.046 m in Reach-2B of Phase-2 of Nagpur Metro Rail Project.
|Tender Reference Number
|Estimated Cost (in Rs.)
|EMD (in Rs.)
|Document Download/Sale Start Date
|30th Dec, 2023
|Bid Submission Start Date
|30th Dec, 2023
|Bid Submission End Date
|08th Feb, 2024
|Pre Bid Meeting Dat
|10th Jan, 2024
|Bid Opening Date
|09th Feb, 2024
Scope of Works:
Design and Construction of elevated Metro Viaduct including viaduct in station portion from Chainages (-)7577.056m to (-)13457.046m in Reach 2b of Nagpur Metro Rail Project Phase II. The total length of the viaduct is 5879.99 metres. GAD enclosed with the bid/tender documents may be referred. Salient details of GAD are given below:
- The elevated Section of (Reach-2B) starts from Chainage (-)7577.056m and ends at (-)13457.046m. However, Pier and Pier Cap at the beginning of the section will not be a part of scope of works defined in this contract.
- The Design and Build Contractor has to design the Viaduct ensuring a minimum statutory vertical clearance of 5.5 metres to the Metro structure above the existing road level. Sectional elevation of the typical elevated viaduct drawing enclosed with the tender/bid documents shall be referred for the same.
- Whole length of the viaduct has to be designed for double line standard gauge track as shown in the GAD. System is planned with end evacuation and 25 KV AC OHE traction. The tenderer/bidder will have to use a Segmental Box girder integrated with the parapet (Segmental box girder is Maha-Metro’s preferred choice).
- Some spans will have to be designed to accommodate the emergency track crossover, special track layouts (e.g. pocket track) (Approximate locations if any are shown in the GAD for reference).
Detailed Survey of the alignment for viaduct (including station locations), soil investigation at every pier location, utility checking, fixing an optimised span configuration as per contractor’s design subject to the obligatory requirements as shown in the GAD.
Design & Construction of Open/Raft/Footing/Pile foundations including pile cap, pier, portal pier (wherever applicable), pier protection crash barrier, pier cap (normal, cantilever, extended as applicable), portal beam, bearing pedestals, bearings, shear keys, seismic restrainers, hold down devices if required etc. complete.
Design & Construction of Pile foundations including pile cap, pier, pier cap, pier arm (platform level/track level), superstructure (same as that followed in viaduct), bearing pedestals, bearings, shear keys, seismic restrainers (if required), hold down devices if required etc. complete in the station limits along the viaduct portion.
A typical Elevation Drawing at station locations is enclosed with the tender/bid documents. The span configuration may vary slightly based on site constraints. Typical elevated station shall have pier arms only at track/platform level (Except Cantonment and dragon palace station as Cantonment Station is having portal pier arrangement in the station’s central viaduct portion and dragon palace station is having pier arm at both concourse and platform level).
The pier arms shall be RCC/PSC members as shown in the tender drawings. These pier arms shall accommodate the platform level girders with deck slab (platform including circulating area, station roof, connecting bridges with roof, etc.) and other subsequent finishes. The platform level girders with deck slab and the subsequent finishing is not included in the scope of works under this contract.
Hence, does not constitute a part of the Lump Sum contract. The arrangement of central viaduct portion cantonment station may be referred to as per attached drawings. Kanhan Metro Station is having off road station construction and the arrangement shown for central viaduct portion in the attached drawing may be referred and the same is in scope of contractor.
Design & Construction of superstructure of standard spans, non-standard spans/(obligatory) spans, spans supporting special track layouts if required. Superstructure spans to be constructed by segmental construction methods. (Segmental box girder is Maha Metro’s preferred choice).
However, contractors can propose alternate sections keeping the overall dimension of the superstructure as indicated in the tender drawing. It may be noted that alignment may contain certain special spans. Nothing extra shall be paid for the complexities involved in the construction of these special spans.
Alignment is crossing Nallah and portal piers are to be provided at few locations and the same is included in the scope of works under this contract and nothing extra shall be paid for the complexities involved in the construction of these spans.
Alignment is having one 48m steel girder approach span to Cantonment Station as shown in the attached GAD at Chainage Ch. (-) 8665.346 to Ch. (-) 8713.346 m is included in the scope of works under this contract and nothing extra shall be paid for the complexities involved in the construction.
GAD furnished to the contractor as a part of the tender/bid documents contains tentative span configuration proposed by the Employer. However, the contractor shall put forward his proposed span configuration. Engineers shall review and approve the same in consultation with Employer. Indicative spans are 19m, 22m, 25m, 28m, 31m.
Standard span configuration of 28m or 31m shall be adopted where the alignment is either straight or radius of horizontal curvature is 700m and above Suitable span configuration of 19m, 22m, 25m shall be adopted if the radius of horizontal curvature in alignment is sharper than 700m. At obligatory locations or where there are site constraints, the span length can be 34m.
Segmental box girder construction for a span length beyond 34m shall be permitted only in exceptional cases by the Engineer duly in consultation with Employer. If the radius of horizontal curvature in the alignment is 150 m or sharper, then top width of deck slab in superstructure of viaduct shall be ensured as per the guidelines issued with tender documents at Appendix 20.
For spans supporting special track layout if any (e.g.: pocket track, elevated stabling lines) PSC I-Girder with deck slab may be permitted at no extra cost. Steel Spans/Steel Columns/Steel Piers are not permitted. Indicative spans may be followed for standard units as far as possible. However, in case of obligatory span and sharper curves, Steel Composite I-Girder may be resorted to, with Employer’s permission at no extra cost.
Bidders have to make sure that while submitting their proposal and superstructure design, the rail levels as envisaged in GAD shall be final. Variation in the range of ±200mm from rail level provided in the GAD enclosed with the bid/tender drawings is deemed to be included in the lump sum portion of the contract.
Variation beyond this range shall be paid or deducted as the case may be. Only the increase/decrease in height of pier(s) (i.e. concrete and steel quantity) will be considered for either payment or rebate in this case. Difference between actual executed Rail levels and Rail levels as furnished in the GAD at each Pier location shall be considered to evaluate any variation arising on account of change in Rail level.
- Purely Steel Structures shall not be allowed. However, in obligatory locations, composite structures may be permitted with prior approval of the employer.
- GAD enclosed with this RFP shall also contain the tentative span configuration. Contractor is permitted to make amends to the span configuration based on site constraints or utilities subject to the approval of the Engineer.
- Pile foundations with socketing in any type of rock as per the design/codal requirements. However, minimum length of pile as approved by the Engineer (complying with the design/codal requirements) shall be provided in any case.
- If at any location, permanent liners are required for piling, then the same is inclusive in lump sum quoted price.
- Pile caps / Open Foundations resting at any depth depending upon the site condition shall include excavation, levelling course, PCC, dewatering, sheet piling/soldier piling & wooden lagging, if required, backfilling with sand complete in all respects.
- In case rigid pavement (Cement Concrete Road) is encountered along the alignment, cutting of the same for foundation works and restoring shall be taken up by suitable means as directed by Engineer so as not to disturb/weaken the surrounding pavement.
- Placing precast girders in position on the piers by suspended type or underslung type launching system. Nothing extra will be payable for cast in-situ spans and no deductions will be made either.
- Stray current corrosion prevention measures (including extra rebars in various RCC/PSC structural members) to be applicable for earthing only.
- Elastomeric (Horizontal) bearings for all spans based on detailed design.
- Vertical elastomeric bearings wrapping the seismic strainer with all necessary accessories as per approved design and scheme.
RCC Pedestals with necessary inserts (hot dipped galvanised bolts) in the superstructure of viaduct to support OHE and signalling masts. Layout Plan for the OHE masts is enclosed herewith the tender documents as Appendix: 21. Thickening of parapet is to be carried out for OHE mast as required as per OHE/Signalling layout plan. POT/PTFE/Spherical bearings (based on detailed design) for any span (if required) including seismic restrainers.
Design, supply and Installation of Powder coated MS hand railing over parapet of the Viaduct as per tender drawing. Integrated parapet shall be provided with logo design approved by Maha Metro. Height of the parapet integrated with track supporting structure in normal viaduct shall be 700 mm from the superstructure deck top level. However, the height of the parapet integrated with track supporting structure in the station premises shall be 1100 mm from superstructure deck top level.
- Crash Barrier for piers, portal legs etc. in both stations and viaduct as per tender drawing.
- Inserts/shear connectors/starter bars for Track plinth is within the lump sum scope of this contract. (Track plinth is not in the Scope of this work).
- In case the starter bars are not required to be provided, recovery for the same shall be made as per the rate of TMT reinforcement prevailing in schedule A of BoQ.
- Drawing showing the details of Shear Connectors for track plinth is enclosed with tender/bid documents as Appendix 22.
- Expansion joints in the track supporting superstructure including station locations along the viaduct as per relevant tender drawings and specifications.
- The slope concrete required (to cater to the wheel chair movement during emergency evacuation) at Expansion joint location around the Manhole cover as per the attached drawings. This shall be included in the lump sum quoted price and Nothing extra shall be paid.
- Manholes with manhole covers (one per span) made of Fibre Reinforced Polymer (FRP) on the deck of superstructure with locking arrangement as per attached tender drawings and relevant technical specifications.
- Earthing arrangement, inserts for signalling masts in the parapets and other systems as may be required. Layout Plan for the Signalling masts is enclosed herewith the tender documents as Appendix: 23.
Drainage system shall comprise of provision of hot dipped galvanised drainage spouts in alternate segments of every superstructure span and the subsequent piping network in UPVC including the hanging supports and fixtures, travelling up to the corrugated HDPE pipe in Pier/Pier cap/Pier arm. Drainage arrangements will be from inside the pier. Piers including cantilever pier caps, Portal piers and Portal beams.
Shape and appearance of Piers shall be as decided by Maha Metro from aesthetic point of view. Size shall be as per design requirement. Maximum eccentricity of alignment centre line from the centre line of the pier shall be limited to 1.8 m. Provision for cut-outs in the viaduct required for services in coordination with various system contractors. Provision for Maha Metro logo on the outer face of parapet as per the tender drawings.
Provision for MS staircases (complete in all respects along with railing) for approaching the viaduct track bed from station platforms at both ends for up & down lines constitute a part of the lump sum quoted price. The pier segment’s parapet of approach span shall be casted for 50% width only in order to avoid cutting of parapet during above staircase fixing.
Epoxy painting as per RDSO guidelines for durability of concrete structures relevant technical specifications for all the exposed surfaces of RCC and PSC members of viaduct including the station locations along the viaduct namely piers, pier caps, portal piers, portal beams, pier arms (station location), bearing pedestals, superstructure (soffit and sides only), outer face of parapet. Deck top of the superstructure and inner face and top of parapet excluded.
For all spans, the design is to be done by contractor and shall be approved by Maha- Metro. An experienced designer in the field of Elevated Metro Viaduct and Station works, shall be engaged by the contractor with due approval of Maha Metro.
The design of bearings, shear keys of seismic restrainers, hold down devices if required shall also be done by the contractor, which shall be approved by Maha Metro. Approval of Maha Metro will be after proof checking by the proof checking agency appointed by Maha Metro.
Shifting of utilities (either underground or overhead) ranging from water pipeline, sewer line, electrical, signalling, telecom cables etc. (Excluding HT lines) will be the responsibility of Civil contractors and charges for the same shall be paid separately as per relevant Schedule (Schedule-C).
Maha Metro shall provide all necessary assistance in liaising with the utility owning agency. NOC & Approval of schemes of diversion of utilities from the concerned regulatory/statutory/local authority is the responsibility of the contractor.
Utilities may be verified by the bidder physically at site. The bidder should ensure that no foundation of the pier is located throughout the length in such locations. If at all, the bidder is required to take up diversion of utilities, payment towards the same shall be made as per Schedule C.
Demolition/dismantling of RCC framed /steel structures/buildings, masonry buildings including basement, ground and above floors as existing at site on the alignment of viaduct as indicated in GAD without making damages to the adjacent structures, utilities, etc. including disposing off retrieved materials out of site of work. Demolition /dismantling of road, footpath, kerb stone, central verge, boundary wall, etc.
Tenderer must visit the site and ascertain actual magnitude of quantum of work involved for footpaths, kerb stone, central verge, boundary wall, etc. and nothing shall be payable on this account. Retrieved materials obtained from demolition/dismantling shall be property of the contractor. Acquiring and evacuation of the properties will be done by the concerned authorities.
The contractor has to get necessary permission/ NOC from the Railway, PWD, NMC, NHAI, Police, Traffic Police and other concerned regulatory authorities for blocking services and working in such locations. Maha-Metro will only assist the contractor (e.g. Issuance of letter to concerned departments) for getting the permission from concerned regulatory authorities for working in such locations. Extension of time may be granted in case of substantial delay in getting permission from the above-mentioned regulatory authorities; however compensation of cost towards delays are not admissible.
Disposal of surplus materials including excavation spoils, pile heads etc. to the dumping site approved by the Engineer, irrespective of lead and lift (ascent/descents). All debris that includes concrete blocks, pile heads bricks etc may have to be disposed of by the contractor at nominated places (to be identified by contractor in consultation with local civic bodies) including all lead and lift. However, Maha-Metro’s preferred choice is that contractors convert them into usable tiles/bricks so as to ensure that the dumping of such unwanted materials does not harm flora and fauna.
- Width of the median including crash barrier shall be limited to 2.5 m. However, in exceptional cases like NHAI area, the same width prior to taking up Viaduct/Station construction activity shall be maintained even after restoration. with the approval of the Engineer.
- Siding line/pocket tracks if any, within chainages as shown in the GAD is in the Lumpsum scope of work.
- Rain water harvesting with ground water recharging in alternate span to cater the discharge from all piers as per attached tender drawings is part of the lump sum contract.
- Emergency evacuation path marking shall be provided to facilitate passengers to streamline the emergency evacuation process.
- Walkway/step to be provided beside the derailment guard of both up and down track on either end of the station in between track access gates. No extra payment shall be given for the same.
- There is a cantonment zone in the alignment for approx. a 4km and view cutter is to be provided as per the attached drawings.
- The provision of the view cutter is in the scope of contractor and is part of Lump Sum scope and nothing extra shall be paid on account of view cutter.
- The advertisement boards are to be provided at junction location and parapet at these locations shall be designed and constructed accordingly.
- Also, the portal piers are to be designed and constructed considering the advertisement support arrangement as shown in the attached drawings.
- Installation of advertisement board frame structure is also in the scope of contractor and contractor is required to quote accordingly as nothing extra shall be paid on this account.
Viaduct beyond Kanhan Station falls in the flood plains of the Kanhan River. Hydrological study of Kanhan River for establishing the parameters (like flood discharge, verifying the provided HFL, silt factor, scour depth, etc.) required for carrying out the detailed design as per the relevant codes of practice. Also, the length of viaduct for which these parameters are to be considered in its detailed design shall also be established by the study. Contractor is required to design and construct this stretch accordingly.
The Minimum average annual turnover of INR 295.60 Crore within the last 5 (five) years. Last five years shall be (FY 2018-19, 19-20, 20-21, 21-22 & 22-23). In the case of Companies, which follow the Financial Year as Calendar Year (January to December), data for 2021 shall be treated equivalent to the data of FY 2021-22 and so on.
A minimum of Similar Work contracts specified below that have been satisfactorily completed as a prime contractor or joint venture member during last 7 (Seven) years reckoned from the last day of the month previous to the one in which the latest date of the bid submission falls.
- Should have completed/ executed the work of value equivalent to at least INR 296 Crores under a Single Contract towards “Construction of Viaduct/ Bridge excluding Approaches/ Embankment having a Pre- stressed Concrete Superstructure of length not less than 4.72 Km”, or
- Should have completed/ executed the work of value equivalent to at least INR 185 Crores each under minimum two contracts towards “Construction of Viaduct/ Bridge excluding Approaches/ Embankment having a Prestressed Concrete Superstructure of length not less than 2.95 Km, or
- Should have completed/ executed the work of value equivalent to at least INR 148 Crores each under minimum three contracts towards “Construction of Viaduct/ Bridge excluding Approaches/ Embankment having a Prestressed Concrete Superstructure of length not less than 2.36 Km.
Sale of document, e-payment procedure, submission and other details are available on MAHA-Metro (Nagpur) E- tender portal under section in e- tenders. https://mahametrorail.etenders.in
Source: Nagpur Metro- Tender | Image Credit (representational): Nagpur Metro
Join us for the upcoming Railway Innovation Summit with 400+ Top Rail & Metro Industry Leaders on 30th Jan, 2024 in New Delhi, India. Register here and participate in the summit.