Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRCL) is propelling Nagpur Metro’s expansion with a recently floated tender for the Design and Construction of Elevated Metro Viaduct and Double-Decker Road Bridge/Flyover in Reach-1A of Nagpur Metro, Phase-2 project.
Brief about Tender Submission:
Name of the Work: Design and Construction of Elevated Metro Viaduct of length 17.624 km between Ch.21256.814 to Ch.38881.7 including Railway spans of length 79m & 100m and 6-lane Double-Decker Road bridge/flyover of length 1.027km on National Highway on integrated Piers between Ch. 22873.8 to Ch. 23900.777, in Reach-1A of NMRP Phase-2
|Tender Reference Number
|Estimated Cost (in Rs.)
|EMD (in Rs.)
|Document Download/Sale Start Date
|03rd Jan, 2024
|Bid Submission Start Date
|03rd Jan, 2024
|Bid Submission End Date
|08th Feb, 2024
|Pre Bid Meeting Date
|11th Jan, 2024
|Bid Opening Date
|09th Feb, 2024
Scope of Works:
Design and Construction of Elevated Metro Viaduct of length 17.624km between Ch.21256.814m to Ch.38881.7m in Reach-1A, along the alignment, is in part of scope of work in this contract including the viaduct in station portions. Pier at the end of the above-mentioned section i.e. at Ch. 38881.7m will be a part of the scope of work defined in this contract.
This pier shall support the viaduct coming from the other side also for future extension. However, Pier/RCC abutment at the start of the above- mentioned section at Ch. 21256.814m is not in the scope of work defined under this contract.
Further, for section Ch. 25755.211m to Ch. 26895.211m having length 1.14km, only super-structure of metro viaduct i.e. bearing and above will be a part of scope of work defined in this contract and sub-structure of metro viaduct in this section will be constructed by NHAI’s agency.
Contractor shall be required to do necessary interfacing for the design/construction of the superstructure of metro viaduct between Ch. 25755.211m to Ch. 26895.211m with the NHAI’s agency. Contractor shall also be required to provide design/load criteria to the NHAI’s agency for the design of substructure between afore-mentioned chainages.
Design and Construction of Elevated Metro Viaduct cum National highway 6-lane road bridge i.e. double decker road flyover on Integrated Pier for a length of 1.027km between Ch. 22873.8m to Ch. 23900.777m in Reach-1A, along the alignment, is in part of scope of work in this contract including the viaduct cum road flyover in station portions, if any. Piers/RCC abutments (for ramps/approaches) at the end of the above-mentioned section will be a part of scope of work defined in this contract.
These piers shall support the elevated metro viaduct coming from other sides also. The double-decker road flyover between Ch. 22873.8m to Ch. 23900.777m is an extension of the road flyover from Chinchbhawan end and is to be executed by the PWD/MH. Contractor shall be required to do necessary interfacing for the design/construction of the metro viaduct as well as Double-Decker flyover between afore-mentioned chainages with the PWD/MH.
- Design and Construction of Railway span of 79m & 100m in Reach-1A as indicated in the GAD including super-structure as well as sub-structure.
- Design and Construction of Integrated Pier-arm with Metro viaduct Pier/Piercap at elevated station locations as well as in double decker section to support the station platform in a station length of approximately 77.5m. Location for stations has been indicated in the alignment GAD.
- Alignment and Rail levels/ F.R.L. of elevated metro viaduct, metro viaduct cum road flyover (double decker flyover), locations of special/Railway and stations is provided in the GAD.
- Typical section and span arrangement for the viaduct as well as double decker flyover is provided in the GAD. The span arrangement of the viaduct/double decker is indicative which may increase/decrease as per final approved drawing.
- The location of piers and the span arrangement suggested by the contractor have to be approved by the Engineer-in-charge before execution.
- Whole length of the metro viaduct has to be designed for double line standard gauge track as shown in the GAD. System is planned with end evacuation and 25 KV AC OHE traction.
- Some spans will have to be designed to accommodate the emergency track crossover, special track layouts (e.g. pocket track) (Approximate locations if any are shown in the GAD for reference).
- Whole length of the Double-Decker road flyover is to be designed in accordance with design criteria mentioned elsewhere in the document and relevant IRC standard.
- Design and Build Contractor has to design the Elevated Viaduct ensuring a minimum statutory vertical clearance of 5.5 metres to the Metro/double-decker structure above the existing/finished road level.
- However, where construction of concrete road is yet to be taken up, the above-mentioned mandatory vertical clearance shall be 5.8m. Sectional elevation of the typical elevated viaduct drawing enclosed with the tender/bid documents shall be referred for the same.
- A method statement regarding the construction in accordance with the specification mentioned in this contract, shall be submitted by the Contractor for approval of the Engineer, well in advance of the commencement of work.
Double-Decker (Metro Viaduct Cum Road Flyover/Bridge) Section:
This work includes the Design and Construction of Elevated Metro Viaduct cum National highway 6-lane road bridge i.e. double decker flyover on Integrated Pier for a length of 1.027km between Ch. 22873.8m to Ch. 23900.777m in Reach-1A, along the alignment, as per approved GAD, including the viaduct cum road flyover in station portions. The design of common foundation/pier shall be done for considering additional load of Metro Transport as per attached DBR.
The scope includes design and construction of foundation (open/raft/pile) work, pile cap, pier, pier arms (in elevated station portions), pier protection, crash barrier/parapet, pier cap (normal, cantilever, extended as applicable), bearing pedestals, bearings (spherical as applicable), shear keys etc. for both Elevated Metro Viaduct as well as Road flyover.
- The scope also includes design and construction of a link bridge for the passage of passengers from one platform to the other through the pier-arm and below the track supporting structure of the elevated viaduct in the station portion, if any. The typical arrangement drawing of the link bridge is attached along with the tender drawings.
- The scope also includes design and construction of double decker flyover superstructure and approach ramp section on RE wall.
- The type of superstructure for road bridge shall be Precast segmental girder, preferably central spine beam and cantilever wings, on single common pier with provision for extension of pier for Metro rail structure through road bridge median.
- Spine and Wings shall be match-cast to avoid lateral differences, to ensure a quality product, etc. The Precast segmental construction works shall conform to the S.11 of the Section-VI-F of these documents.
- Contractor shall submit detailed methodology for the erection of double decker segments which includes central spine, metro viaduct segment and cantilever wings for the approval of the Engineer-in-charge.
- Contractor shall deploy a suitable number of overhead double-decker launching girders/wing launchers for timely completion of the works. Contractor shall conduct full scale load traveller test of all launching girders prior to using it for execution purpose.
- Such tests are required to be done for all the launching girders engaged for the project, even if the similar design of launching is adopted elsewhere.
- Nothing extra shall be payable for conducting such test and the payment shall be deemed to be included in the Lump Sum quoted price of Schedule-B.
- Detailed investigation/survey of the site for Design and execution of the work.
Conducting detailed subsurface exploration and taking at least one number borehole at every foundation location, including analysis, interpretation and reporting of results thereof in accordance with IRC 78 (Standard Specifications and Code of practice of Road Bridges Section VII Foundations and Substructure) and IS 2911 required for preparations of design of foundations. The depth of soil exploration shall be as per codal provisions, required for pile foundation.
The general span arrangement for double decker road bridge flyover is to be considered keeping in view of the metro span in accordance with the clause 2.1.1 of this section of Work’s requirement. Width of Carriageway for 6-lane elevated double decker road bridge shall be 2x11m (Main Carriageway) + 2.7m wide Central Median (with Metro Pier extension ) and 4×0.45m Crash Barrier (2 nos. for Each way carriage way) with Cross-slope in bridge deck of 2.5% for each carriageway. Tentative cross- section of the double decker flyover is provided in the tender drawings.
The contractor shall design the double decker structure ensuring vertical clearance of 5.5m to the Road bridge/Metro structure above the existing/finished road level respectively. However, where construction of concrete road is yet to be taken up, the above-mentioned mandatory vertical clearance shall be 5.8m. Preparation of GAD, Detailed design drawings (Including design of bearings), GFC’s for the works and obtaining necessary approvals from the Engineer/Employer.
Design and Construction of the RE structure for approach ramp shall conform to the stipulations/provisions of the design criteria mentioned elsewhere in the document and IRC specifications. The work of construction of Reinforced Earth/Wall (RE) structure together with the construction of earthwork in layers, assembly and placing of reinforcing elements and facia elements shall conform to the provisions stipulated in the section 3100 of MORTH Specifications for Road and Bridge Works (fifth revision). Design, supplying, providing and fixing in true line position and level Spherical Bearings as per approved drawing. Designing and Providing Strip seal Expansion joint for road bridge of double decker flyover in accordance with the IRC:SP:69-2011 and MORTH Specifications for Road and Bridge Works (fifth revision).
- The course over road flyover deck shall be of Bituminous Concrete of 50mm thickness laid in single layer. The course over approach ramp section shall be of 50mm Bituminous Concrete.
- The bitumen for Bituminous concrete shall be of minimum Viscosity grade VG-30 and minimum 5.4% Bitumen content by mass.
- Moreover, the construction operations and bituminous mixes of tack coat, bituminous concrete shall conform to the provisions of Section 500 of MORTH Specifications for Road and Bridge Works (fifth revision).
- Before laying a coat the deck surface shall be thoroughly cleaned and tack coat shall be applied.
- In a bituminous wearing coat, profile making course before laying wearing coat shall be provided for accommodating superelevation and any unevenness present in the deck slab.
- The profile making course shall be of the same material as of wearing a coat.
- The thickness of wearing a coat at any point shall not be less than that given in the aforementioned clause of this document.
- Nothing extra shall be payable for conducting such test and the payment shall be deemed to be included in the Lump Sum quoted price of Schedule-B.
Design and Construction of Friction/Approach Slab on approach ramp covering the entire width of the roadway, shall conform to the stipulations/provisions of the design criteria mentioned elsewhere in the document and IRC specifications. The minimum pavement crust composition in approach ramp (throughout) conforms to the stipulations/provisions of the design criteria mentioned elsewhere in the document and IRC specifications.
Drainage arrangement: Drainage system shall be designed in accordance with the relevant IRC and MoRTH specifications and shall comprise of provision of hot dipped galvanised drainage spouts with suitable cleanout fixtures/gratings in alternate segments of the superstructure span and the subsequent piping network in UPVC including the hanging supports and fixtures, travelling up to the corrugated HDPE pipe in Pier/Pier cap/Pier arm.
Each pier shall have a drainage disposal pipe (drainpipe of double wall HDPE corrugated pipes) designed for the area of disposal for immediate discharge of rain water from the bridge deck. Drainage arrangements will be from inside the pier. The galvanised spout assembly shall be given two coats of bituminous paint before placement. The whole assembly shall be placed in true position, lines and levels as shown on the drawings with necessary cutouts in the shuttering for deck slab and held in place firmly.
After setting of the deck slab concrete, the shrinkage cracks around the assembly shall be sealed with polysulphide sealant or bituminous sealant as per IS:1834 and the excess sealant trimmed to receive the wearing coat. After the wearing coat is completed, similar sealant shall be provided to cover at least 50 mm on the wearing coat surface all-round the drainage assembly. Traffic Control Devices/Road Safety Devices shall be provided in accordance with section 9 of the IRC:SP:84-2019.
Specifications of the Retro reflective sheeting with micro prismatic retro reflective element type-11 Class C as per IRC: 67: 2012 specifications shall be provided. The Substrate material for traffic signages shall be of Aluminium Composite Materials(ACM) of 4mm thickness as per clause No. 6.5.2 of IRC-67 -2012.
Road Furniture/Pavement Markings shall be provided in accordance with the provisions of section 9 of the IRC:SP:84-2019, IRC:35, IRC:79 and IRC:67. It shall include informatory signs, Caution/warning signs, mandatory signs, road delineators, road studs, solar powered LED blinkers, Pavement Markings etc. Suitable no. of Gantry Mounted (Overhead/Cantilever) Advance Direction Sign boards shall be placed Ahead of a Flyover in both the directions in accordance with IRC:67.
- Rumble strips of thermoplastic paint shall be provided at all crossings and at the end of the road bridge/flyover as per IRC:99.
- All Traffic/Road Safety/Road Furniture Works details shall be approved by the Engineer-in-Charge.
Street Lighting on Flyover:
- Street lighting shall be provided at built up sections with single sided arm throughout the length of road flyover in accordance with the IRC:SP:84. Street lighting on decorative lamp posts with LED/energy efficient lighting systems of standards made with minimum 40 Lux capacity and 70 % uniformity shall be provided.
- The lighting work shall be done from the qualified/specialised agency and shall be approved by the Engineer-in-charge. The scope includes providing an entire lighting system on flyover and obtaining approval from the concerned government department such as MSEDCL etc including lump sum metre connection charges.
- Riding Quality Test on Completion of the Work and before issuance of Taking- over certificate: Riding quality of each lane of the carriageway shall be checked with the help of a Network Survey Vehicle (NSV) fitted with latest equipments and the maximum permissible roughness for purposes of this Test shall be [2,000 (two thousand)] mm for each kilometre. Payment of the same shall be included in the Lump Sum quoted price of Schedule-B.
- Tests for bridges: Conducting load tests, Pile integrity and Cross hole sonic test on piles as per relevant technical specifications. Conducting load test on girders (span load test) as per IRC-SP-51.
- Conducting span load test on completed spans shall be as follows (one span load test each for maximum span length and minimum span length adopted and one span load test as per the discretion of Engineer-in-Charge) separately for all types of superstructures and special spans. Payment of the same shall be included in the Lump Sum quoted price of Schedule-B.
- Flyover/Road bridge shall also be subjected to the rebound hammer and ultrasonic pulse velocity tests, to be conducted in accordance with the Indian Standards/IRC, at two spots in every span, to be chosen at random by the Engineer and payment of the same shall be included in the Lump Sum quoted price of Schedule-B.
Other tests: The Engineer/Employer may require the Contractor to carry out or cause to be carried additional tests, in accordance with Good Industry Practice and standards, for determining the compliance of the flyover/road bridge with Specifications and Standards, but shall include measuring the reflectivity of road markings and road signs; and measuring the illumination level (lux) of lighting using requisite testing equipment. The Payment of the same shall be deemed to be included in the Lump Sum quoted price of Schedule-B.
Minimum average annual turnover of INR 800 Crore within the last 5 (five) years. Last five years shall be (FY 2018-19, 19-20, 20-21, 21-22 & 22- 23).
A minimum of *Similar Work contracts specified below that have been satisfactorily completed as a prime contractor or joint venture member during last 7 (Seven) years reckoned from the last day of the month previous to the one in which the latest date of the bid submission falls.
- Should have completed/ executed the work of value equivalent to at least INR 800 Crores under a Single Contract towards *Similar Work of length not less than 14.10 Km”, or
- Should have completed/executed the work of value equivalent to at least INR 500 Crores each under minimum two contracts towards *Similar Work of length not less than 8.80 Km, or
- Should have completed/ executed the work of value equivalent to at least INR 400 Crores each under minimum three contracts towards Construction of *Similar Work of length not less than 7.00 Km.
This significant step underscores Nagpur Metro’s commitment to expansion and modernization, enhancing the city’s public transportation infrastructure.
Sale of document, e-payment procedure, submission and other details are available on MAHA-Metro (Nagpur) E- tender portal under section in e- tenders. https://mahametrorail.etenders.in
Source: Nagpur Metro- Tender | Image Credit (representational): Nagpur Metro
Join us for the upcoming Railway Innovation Summit with 400+ Top Rail & Metro Industry Leaders on 30th Jan, 2024 in New Delhi, India. Register here and participate in the summit.