The NCRTC has been honoured with the highest rating of the prestigious ‘Project Award for IGBC’, Platinum Rating for the Ghaziabad Receiving Substation (RSS) and Sahibabad RRTS station, of India’s first Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) being implemented between Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut.
This accolade underscores National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC’s) unwavering commitment to sustainable development, since its inception. The organisation has taken a number of eco-friendly initiatives within the RRTS project, striving for environmental conservation.
All major establishments, including depots, stations, Receiving Substations (RSS), and residential complexes, have been registered with the IGBC, aligning with NCRTC’s mission to uphold the highest environmental sustainability standards.
NCRTC Adopted Environment Friendly Practices:
- From the project’s conceptualization to its implementation, NCRTC has consistently embraced environmentally friendly practices.
- Beginning at the pre-design stage, the adoption of low-carbon concepts has been integral to every construction phase.
- Initiatives such as the use of fly ash bricks, effective disposal of construction and demolition waste, creation of airy and comfortable interiors, energy-efficient designs, implementation of rainwater harvesting systems, and extensive utilisation of solar energy exemplify NCRTC’s commitment to sustainability.
- Elaborate landscaping efforts at Sahibabad and Ghaziabad RSS, along with the space beneath the RRTS viaduct, further contribute to a holistic approach that significantly reduces energy consumption and carbon footprint throughout the project’s construction and operational phases.
Targets to Achieve:
- NCRTC has set a target to meet approximately 70% of its total energy requirement from renewable sources.
- In line with this goal, the organisation has adopted a solar policy, aiming to generate around 11 MW peak in-house solar power on the rooftops of stations, depots, and other buildings.
- Apart from this, it will optimise the energy mix to increase the share of renewable energy for traction purposes as well.
What is IGBC Award:
- The prestigious Platinum Rating conferred by the IGBC serves as a testament to NCRTC’s unyielding dedication to sustainable development, marking a milestone in the journey towards forging a greener and more sustainable future that aligns with global environmental conservation goals.
- Established in 2001, IGBC, an autonomous non-profit body of CII, actively encourages sustainable practices and offers solutions to minimise environmental impact.
- Utilising best international practices, IGBC provides ratings to various categories, including offices, buildings, factories, and mass rapid transit systems, thereby contributing to environmental conservation.
- The IGBC Platinum Rating was given at the Green Building Congress 2023, hosted by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) in Chennai. Platinum certification is the highest recognition from the various categories of awards of IGBC.
NCRTC remains steadfast in its vision to revolutionise urban transportation in India, emphasising sustainability and innovation as key pillars of its transformative journey.
Source: NCRTC- Press Release | Images Credit: NCRTC
Join us for the upcoming Railway Innovation Summit with 400+ Top Rail & Metro Industry Leaders on 30th Jan, 2024 in New Delhi, India. Register here and participate in the summit.