In view of the importance being given for ensuring safety of train movement, there has been no consequential train accident during the year 2020-21. It can be mentioned here that last year was also an accident free year for NFR. This has been possible due to overall emphasis given to maintain the health of all train operations related infrastructure in good condition and regular monitoring the same throughout the jurisdiction of NFR.
- Track is the most important aspect for safe movement of trains.
- As a result of train movement, wear and tear of track is bound to occur and renewal/ replacement of track components are indispensable.
- During the current year (upto October, 2020) 73.68 CTR units of Track renewal i.e. changing of rails and sleepers have been done against 64.85 CTR units done upto October, 2019.
- That is an increase of 13.62%.
- To detect un-seen fracture of railway track which might lead to accident “Ultrasound” testing is done by machine.
- This is known as USFD testing of track.
- USFD testing of 1,762.31 Km has been done during the month of October 2020 against 1368.54 Km done during October 2019.
- That is an increase of about 28.77%.
- Deep Screening i.e. cleaning of ballast that lies beneath the railway track was done for 46 turnouts during the month of October 2020 against 12 turnouts done during October 2019.
- 10 nos. bridges have been rehabilitated during the month of October 2020 making a cumulative progress of 48 no during the current year.
- Packing of ballast beneath 354 Points and Crossings have been done by UNIMAT machines during the month of October 2020 making a cumulative progress of 3012 points upto the month against proportionate target of 1867 points during this year.
- N.F. Railway has also completed 2,746 nos. of Flash Butt welding of rail joints during the month of October 2020 making a cumulative progress of 13053 nos. of Flash Butt welds upto the month to make the rail joints in track more secure.
- The increased emphasis given on safety measures as evident from above has also led to increased speed of trains including goods carrying trains within NFR.
Source: Northeast Frontier Railway-Update