In a groundbreaking stride towards sustainability, National High-Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL) has executed a Green Energy initiative for Sabarmati Multi Modal Transit Hub Building. This is the first time in Gujarat that a Roof-Top Solar Plant has been built under the RESCO Model.
The Sabarmati Multi Modal Transit Hub building in Ahmedabad, Gujarat for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor (MAHSR) has installed a 700 kWp Solar Power Plant under the (Renewable Energy Service Company) RESCO mode.
The Sabarmati hub is a multi-modal transit building which will provide seamless connectivity to other modes of transport like railway station, metro, BRT, and road transport with HSR system.
The National High-Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL), the company which is executing the Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed rail corridor, has become the first entity in the state of Gujarat to secure approval for Net-Metering in RESCO mode and received registration from the Gujarat Energy Development Agency (GEDA).
This strategic initiative has not only positioned NHSRCL as a sustainability trailblazer but has also yielded substantial savings in Capital Expenditure (Capex), amounting to INR 2.73 Crores, which might have been spent on the installation of the rooftop solar plant.
Benefits from this Initiative:
- The solar plant is expected to generate approximately 10 lakh units of Green Energy annually, with zero investment and maintenance costs incurred by NHSRCL for a remarkable period of 25 years.
- The Solar Photovoltaic (PV) project, implemented under the RESCO Mode, has been contracted at an attractive rate of INR 3.9 per unit for the next 25 years.
- This rate is significantly lower than the current DISCOM rate of approximately INR 11 per unit, emphasising the economic viability and enduring advantages of embracing renewable energy solutions.
- NHSRCL’s forward-looking approach not only signifies a significant step towards a greener future but also sets a precedent for other entities to explore and adopt sustainable practices in the realm of energy consumption.
- Further with the registration of its first Roof-Top Solar project, NHSRCL geared up for more such projects in its stations, buildings, depots, and sheds throughout its alignment.
In essence, the NHSRCL’s green energy initiative not only propels the Sabarmati Multi Modal Transit Hub into a new era of sustainability but also serves as a beacon of innovation and fiscal responsibility for large-scale infrastructure projects like the Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed rail corridor.
Source: NHSRCL- Press Release | Images Credit: NHSRCL
Join us for the upcoming Railway Innovation Summit with 400+ Top Rail & Metro Industry Leaders on 30th Jan, 2024 in New Delhi, India. Register here and participate in the summit.