The Noida Metro Rail Corporation (NMRC) celebrated its 6th Foundation Day on 05.11.2020 with great enthusiasm. NMRC had a two-day celebration including Annual Sports Competition and a colourful cultural programme at its Depot in Greater Noida. Smt. Ritu Maheshwari, MD / NMRC and CEO / Noida Authority graced the celebrations with her presence.
Praveen Mishra, ED / NMRC and ACEO Noida Authority; Shri R. K. Saxena, Chief Operating Officer (NMRC); Shri Manoj Vajpayee, GM (Technical)/NMRC; Shri Pankaj Malhotra, GM (Finance) / NMRC; Shri Rajneesh Pandey, AGM (HR)/NMRC, Shri VPS Komar, OSD to MD/NMRC alongwith officers and staff of NMRC and DMRC’s handholding team.
- Smt. Kalpana Saxena, Commandant/49th Battalion (PAC) also graced the occasion with her presence.
- The celebrations were spread over a span of two days (4th and 5th November 2020). On 4th November, NMRC organised a Sports Event in which all NMRC employees participated with great enthusiasm and vigour.
- The event included a number of indoor and outdoor games like Race (100 mts and 400 mts), Discus Throw, Table Tennis, Carrom, Chess and Tug of War.
- This event was flagged off by ED / NMRC.
- In the second and final day of celebrations which was held on 5th November 2020, MD / NMRC felicitated the NMRC employees who had performed exceedingly well in the past one year.
- These employees received the prestigious MD Award by MD / NMRC.
- The Award for Metro Man of the Year was given to Mr. Sudhir Kumar Prasad / Train Operator, the Award for Metro Woman of the year was given to Ms. Prerna Priya / Station Controller and the Award for Best Cleaned / Maintained Station was given to Pari Chowk Metro Station.
- A total of 35 NMRC employees were awarded today for exemplary work in their fields.
- The winners of the competitions conducted during Hindi Diwas were also felicitated.
- The winners of the Sports Competition were also given certificates by MD / NMRC and participants of the cultural programme were also given certificates and award for their participation.
Special certificates were also given to the six (06) employees of the Transgender Community deployed at Sector 50 Metro station to motivate and encourage them.
Recent initiatives of NMRC:
NMRC on 27.10.2020 officially dedicated its Sector – 50 Metro Station to the Transgender Community. This station was unveiled as “Pride Station” by Dr. Mahesh Sharma, Hon’ble Member of Parliament, Gautam Buddha Nagar, U. P. and Shri Pankaj Singh, Hon’ble MLA, Noida, U. P. in the presence of Smt. Ritu Maheshwari, Managing Director / NMRC and CEO (Noida Authority).
- Also present during the occasion were the Six (06) members of the Transgender Community who have been recruited by NMRC though their contractors.
- These members of the Transgender Community will be deployed at the Sector 50 Metro station.
- These members from the Transgender were provided the necessary training by NMRC before deployment.
- Members from the NGO “Nazariya” were also present during the occasion.
- This NGO works exclusively with the Transgender Community and addresses their issues and other concerns.
- NMRC worked closely with this NGO to better understand the concerns of this community.
- “Nazariya” also conducted workshops for NMRC staff to generate awareness and sensitise them towards this Community and trained them to communicate with the trans community in a sensitive and cordial manner.
- In the future also, NMRC will be in constant touch with NGOs and other organisations that work for this community so that they can guide us in providing a healthy working environment for our employees belonging to this community.
About NMRCs “Pride” Station:
- It is a first of its kind initiative introduced by a Metro system in Northern India.
- This step has been taken by NMRC for the inclusion and meaningful participation of the members of the transgender community.
- As per Census 2011, there are 4.9 lakh transgenders in India out of which around 35,000 are staying in NCR.
- These numbers may have increased manifold in the present scenario.
- This noble initiative by NMRC was inspired by the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019, passed by the Government of India, which aspires to protect the rights of the Transgender people and works towards their welfare.
- The station has been named “Pride” as the NMRC feels extremely proud and privileged to have qualified members of the Transgender Community as part of the NMRC family.
- It also instils a sense of pride among the community and this step by NMRC is bound to be a ray of hope for the upliftment of the members of this community and help in breaking stereotypes about them so that they too can live a dignified life with their head held high.
- The name was selected after receiving suggestions from the general public and various NGOs and other organisations that work for this community.
- Suggestions were called online from people on NMRC’s website and Maximum people suggested the name “Pride”.
- The “Pride” station, though dedicated to the Transgender Community, will be open for all passengers. It will also provide employment opportunities for the Transgender Community.
- The Artwork and look of the station has also been done to signify the essence and spirit of the members of the Transgender Community.
- To provide the Transgender Community with employment opportunities and to enable their meaningful inclusion in the society, NMRC had also come up with vacancies for the Transgender Community.
- NMRC had come out with 06 vacancies (04 for Ticket Vending Operator and 02 for Housekeeping Staff) for the Transgender Community.
- These vacancies were specifically for deployment at the “Pride” Station.
- The candidates were asked to submit their applications to NMRC’s contractors responsible for deploying staff at NMRC’s stations.
- NMRC also collaborated with National Backward Class Finance Corporation (NBCFDC), a Government organisation working for upliftment of the Backward classes for providing employment to the Transgender Community.
- NMRC received overwhelming response from the Transgender Community against these vacancies.
Source: NMRC-Press Release