The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated on 14.02.2021 the 9 kilometre extension stretch of the Chennai Metro Rail Phase-1. The Prime Minister informed that the project has been completed on schedule despite the pandemic.
- The project is in line with the boost to Aatmnirbhar Bharat as the rolling stock has been procured locally and civil construction activities were done by Indian Contractors.
- Shri Modi mentioned that in this year’s budget, over Rupees Sixty Three thousand crore have been set aside for a hundred and nineteen kilometres of Phase two of the project.
- This is one of the largest projects sanctioned for any city in one-go.
- The focus on urban transport will boost ‘Ease of Living’ for citizens here, Shri Modi pointed out.
- The Prime Minister said that improved connectivity brings convenience.
- It also helps commerce.
- The Chennai Beach, Ennore Athipattu stretch of Golden Quadrilateral is a high traffic density route.
- The PM said there is a need to ensure faster freight movement between Chennai Port and Kamarajar Port and expressed the confidence that the fourth line between Chennai Beach and Attipattuwill help in this respect.
- He also noted that the electrification of Villupuram Thanjavur Thiruvarurproject will be a great boon to the delta districts.
- The Prime Minister also inaugurated fourth Railway line between Chennai Beach and Attipattu, Railway Electrification of single line section in Villupuram – Cuddalore – Mayiladuthurai – Thanjavur and Mayiladuthurai-Thiruvarur.
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Metro Railways Safety, Thiru Abhai Kumar Rai, CRS/S. Circle, Bangalore along with his team inspected at New Washermanpet and Toll gate Metro Station on 07-02-2021.
- Several Civil, Operations and System readiness and pier bearings were inspected in the Up-line and Downline.
- Train Operation Safety, Signalling was also inspected
- and reviewed the documents.
- The Train Testing along with Signal and Speed Trial upto maximum Operating speed of 80 kmph was also done from Washermenpet to Wimco Nagar on upline and downline.
- The Commissioner of Metro Railways Safety was accompanied by 3 Dy, CMRS, Thiru Pradeep Yadav, I.A.S, MD, CMRL with Thiru Rajeev Narayan Dwivedi, Director (Project), Thiru Rajesh Chaturvedi, Director (Systems & Operations) and other Senior Officials of CMRL.
Source: PIB-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): CMRL