RailTel Corporation of India Limited, a CPSU under Ministry of Railways has bagged two separate orders pertaining to Data Centre management and cloud services both together amounting to Rs. 54.11 Crore (excluding GST) which becomes Rs. 68.86 Cr. (including GST) from the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO), Ministry of Defence.
- One order is for “Supply, Installation & Commissioning for Enhancement of Data Centre & Its Networking Infrastructure”. This work order is valued at ₹ 22.77 Crore (excluding GST) which after including GST amounts to ₹ 26.87Crore (including GST).
- Second order is for “Supply, Installation & Commissioning of DRDO On-premise CLOUD Services”. This second work order is valued at ₹ 31.34 Crore (excluding GST) which after including GST amounts to ₹ 36.99 Crore (including GST).
- Under this order, the scope of work entails a turnkey solution for enhancing the data centre & its networking infrastructure to cater to the needs of future & enhanced IT needs. This project is specifically focussed to enhance the IT/Non-IT/Networking Infrastructure to facilitate the deployment of Cloud Services for the entire DRDO community. It will also help in setting up a Security Operation Centre (SOC).
- This project will safeguard the huge data, ensure uninterrupted services & future planning of new application and operational requirements. This project is aimed to upgrade the DC at DRDO HQ, New Delhi to bring up a world class facility.
- DRDO Data Centre is envisioned as the ‘shared, reliable and secure infrastructure services centre for hosting and managing the IT services of DRDO Community. After upgradation, the Data Centre would provide many functionalities like Central Repository, Secure Data Storage, Online Delivery of Services, IT Services Portal, Disaster Recovery, Remote Management and Service Integration.
- It would facilitate secure, reliable and efficient delivery of IT services thereby improving end-user satisfaction. Disaster Recovery (DR) services are required to prevent either man-made or natural disasters from causing expensive service disruptions.
- Under this order, the scope of work entails a turnkey solution for deploying a DRDO Cloud over their wide area network to cater to the needs of DRDO community for various needful IT services.
- DRDO decided to migrate to a new scalable hardware platform by creating DRDO CLOUD for provision for storage space, hosting of new applications and distributed computer resources.
- It will benefit the organisation to perform day-to-day activities smoothly. It will help in the efficient utilisation of resources with centralised management & monitoring.
Talking about it, Mrs. Aruna Singh, Chairman & Managing Director, RailTel said, “RailTel has established itself as a prominent Information and Communication Technology (ICT) provider and as one of the largest neutral telecom infrastructure providers in the country. Securing these prestigious projects from DRDO is an endorsement of RailTel’s key position in the domestic IT space based on its strong technology expertise, process excellence and superior execution capabilities. With this, RailTel is well- positioned to win other Ministries, Central Govt. & State Govt. Data Centres & cloud service projects as well”.
- RailTel, a “Mini Ratna (Category-I)” Central Public Sector Enterprise under Ministry of Railways, is one of the largest neutral telecom infrastructure providers in the country owning a Pan-India optic fibre network covering several towns & cities and rural areas of the Country.
- Along with a strong and reliable network of 61000+ RKM of Optic fibre, RailTel has two MeitY empaneled tier III data centres as well. With its Pan India high-capacity network, RailTel isworking towards creating a knowledge society at various fronts and has been selected for implementation of various mission-mode projects for the Government of India in the telecom field.
- RailTel offers a bundle of services like, MPLS VPN, Telepresence, leased line, TowerCo-location, Data centre services etc. RailTel is also working with the Indian Railways to transform railway stations into digital hubs by providing public Wi-Fi at railway stations across the country and 6100+ stations are live with RailTel’s RailWire Wi-Fi.
Source: RailTel -Press Release | Image Credit (representational): RailTel