Kolkata Metro’s new aesthetically designed AC rakes will be produced at Integral Coach Factory, Chennai and taking inspiration from Bengal’s bridal and terracotta artwork, these rakes will have nose cone design.
- Metro Railway, Kolkata is the country’s oldest Metro which has been expanding its wings in order to connect the ‘City of Joy’ with suburbs. Very soon Kolkata Metro is going to run under the river Hooghly to connect the twin cities Kolkata and Howrah.
- Apart from reaching new destinations, Kolkata Metro has also been taking adequate and innovative measures to provide its commuters a sleek, comfortable and fast riding experience.
- As a part of this initiative new futuristic rake design has been envisaged for Kolkata Metro which would be a treat to watch inside the tunnels or on viaduct as well as delight for valued commuters for which they will be proud of.
- These new aesthetically designed AC rakes will be produced at Integral Coach Factory, Chennai and taking inspiration from Bengal’s bridal and terracotta artwork these rakes will have nose cone design.
- Keeping in mind the changing demands and aspirations of commuters, in each coach of these rakes local arts and crafts will be highlighted and USB charging ports will be provided at two sides of each coach.
- The most unique feature of these rakes would be provision of standing seats at one corner where space is limited. Airport-bound commuters can also place their luggages beneath these seats.
- It will further improve the comfort level of Metro journey For ensuring safety of passenger, anti-skid flooring and fire extinguishers will be provided along with unique grab handles and handle loops.
- In case of emergency, commuters will be able to interact with the Motorman through Talk to Driver Unit and CCTV cameras will be strategically placed inside every coach to ensure maximum vigilance of the coach on a real-time basis.
- Keeping in mind the huge rush during peak hours, improved roof grab handles will be provided to encourage the passengers not to stand on the vestibules. Special digital display boards will also be installed inside the rakes for displaying infotainment materials. In order to create a warm ambiance inside the coaches, special cove lighting will also be arranged.
- Robust guardrails and grab poles will be provided at the door entries and above the sitting benches inside the rake for the convenience of the commuters. In these new rakes, passengers will enjoy unobstructed entry/exit with conveniently and ergonomically placed holding positions.
- Such futuristic rakes are expected to be included in Metro’s fleet around 2026. Metro has envisaged a plan to induct 85 new rakes in phases in its fleet. As a result, the present fleet of 46 rakes (32 Broad Gauge and 14 Standard Gauge) will be increased to 131 rakes (114 Broad Gauge and 17 Standard Gauge) to cater to the demand of present as well as all upcoming Corridors. For procurement of these rakes, Rs.6000 crores will be required and the Ministry of Railways has already sanctioned this amount.
Shri Kausik Mitra, CPRO/Metro Railway has said that once these dream rakes are commissioned by 2026, travelling experiences in Kolkata Metro will reach a dizzy height and passengers will opt for Metro over other modes of transport.
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Images Credit: Kolkata Metro