NCRTC has invited tenders for mobile coverage solutions providers, with the aim to ensure a reliable mobile network for RAPIDX train services for commuters. This includes providing licensing space for In-building Solutions (IBS) for shared mobile coverage in the underground section of the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS Corridor.
- The corridor has around 12 km of underground section comprising around 5 km of tunnel section with one underground station of Anand Vihar in Delhi and around 7 km of tunnel section with three underground stations of Meerut Central, Bhaisali and Begumpul in Meerut.
- As per the invited tender, a single neutral host provider will offer the In-Building Solutions (IBS) through a common infrastructure for all current and future mobile operators. This arrangement will be easier and more efficient for mobile operators to serve their customers.
- The provider will offer shared solutions for various types of telecom operators and their techniques including GSM, UMTS, LTE, and 5G technologies. With this initiative, NCRTC aims to provide uninterrupted mobile services from various operators to commuters within the tunnels connecting underground stations and at these underground stations.
- It has often been observed in the existing mass urban transportation systems that commuters face challenges of broken or no mobile network in the underground sections. Elevated sections have no such problem as coverage is ensured by the deployed telecom infrastructure.
- In today’s day and age when connectivity is fundamental, NCRTC wanted to address the issue even before the commencement of the RAPIDX services. It also extends the realm of NCRTC’s belief in providing seamless connectivity and comfortable travel experience, from transportation to telecommunication.
- This initiative is also a step towards augmenting the Non-Fare Box Revenue of NCRTC as this initiative will also monetize the commercial potential of the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS Corridor which will act as a source of funds for meeting operations costs.
- By providing reliable mobile connectivity to the users over the corridor, NCRTC aims to have satisfied users for RAPIDX services as commuters will face no problem in accessing voice and data.
Source: NCRTC- Press Release | Images Credit (representational): NCRTC