South Central Railway is always in the forefront in implementing environment friendly measures and it has been proved once again, when Four of its establishments and one Railway Station Building received Green Co Certifications from Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) during IGBC Green Crusaders as part of World Green Building Week Celebrations held at CII Sohrabji Green Business Center, Hitec City, Hyderabad.
- This has been possible with sincere and continuous efforts of the Zone towards environment friendly measures. The Green Co Certification of Hyderabad Station has been received by Shri Abhay Kumar Gupta, Divisional Railway Manager, Secunderabad Division and other Green Co Ratings by the respective establishment heads.
- The details of Green Co Ratings received by the Zone are:
- Hyderabad Railway Station – Green Co “ Platinum Rating”
- Carriage Repair Shop, Tirupati – Green Co “Gold Rating”
- Diesel Loco Shed, Moulali – Green Co “Gold Rating”
- Electric Loco shed, Kazipet – Green Co “ Silver Rating”
- Diesel Loco Shed, Vijayawada – Green Co “ Silver Rating”
- Hyderabad Deccan (Nampally) Railway Station has been developed as a commuter-friendly design facilities for differently-abled and senior citizens, adequate green cover to protect habitat and promote biodiversity, 100% LED lights in the interior and exterior areas, initiative to reduce the heat island effect by covering 87% of roof area covered with SRI paints, Solar Panels, other energy efficient measures, various water conservation measures, With the usage of rainwater/recycled water, the station is saving approximately an amount of ₹.7.8 lakhs per year.
- The Green measures taken at the Service Buildings are effective in identifying and implementing various possible measures in terms of Energy Conservation, Material Conservation, Recycling, utilization of Renewable Energy, GreenHouse Gases (GHG) reduction, Water Conservation, solid and liquid waste management, Green Cover etc.
- The increased focus in these areas has helped in resource conservation and reduction in intensity of environmental impact. The Green practices in existing buildings will help address National issues like water efficiency, energy efficiency, reduction in fossil fuel use in commuting, handling of waste and conserving natural resources.
Shri Arun Kumar Jain, General Manager (In-charge), South Central Railway has congratulated the heads of the concerned departments, establishments and specially the staff and officers who have effectively contributed in achieving the Green Co certifications. He also stated that SCR’s image as an environment friendly Zone continues to be in vogue and this motivates the staff.
Source: South Central Railway -Press Release | Image Credit: SCR