For the first time in South Central Railway, microtunneling method used for pipe pushing for addressing water logging in the yard, work executed without any major disruption to train services.
- Secunderabad Division of South Central Railway has undertaken major work for addressing the problem of Water logging in the Secunderabad Station Yard. For the first time in SCR, the Microtunneling method has been used through Tunnel Boring Machines (TBM) for pushing the pipes in the yard, crossing railway lines.
- To permanently address the issue of water logging in the Station yard and the resultant disruption in train movements, the Divisional team deployed TBM to create micro-tunneling and a 1.8 dia RCC pipes were pushed for a barrel length of 75 meters towards Vikarabad end of the Station yard. The activity involved pipes pushing 14 crossing lines and several points and crossings.
- For doing the work, a Drive pit was made wherein Tunnel Boring Machine was launched from one end by pumping water in the form of high intensity jets all along the circumference of the TBM. Simultaneously, earth in the form of wet slurry was pumped out as TBM proceeded ahead.
- Utmost care was taken during the pushing to ensure smooth operation of the work, avoiding any slippages. Whenever Rock was encountered during this work, longer blocks were taken specifically for the lines involved to clear the rock ahead of TBM manually.
- The total work was executed by the Divisional Engineering team with excellent coordination by all associated branches. Importantly, due to meticulous planning such a major work was executed without any major disruption to train services from the station. As a result of this work, the station yard will be free from flooding / water logging during rains.
Shri Arun Kumar Jain, General Manager, South Central Railways appreciated Shri Abhay Kumar Gupta, Divisional Railway Manager, Secunderabad Division along with his team members for executing such an important work in a major yard like Secunderabad Station, without hampering train services. He said that this will help in addressing the water logging of tracks effectively and facilitate smooth operation of train movements even during the rainy season.
Source: South Central Railway- Press Release | Images Credit: MoR
Be the first to comment