It enhances safety of train movements and helps in avoiding Enroute detachments and extending the fife of rolling stock parts . A first-of-its-kind New Software Prototype has been developed by the in-house team of Tirupati Coaching Depot for Integrated online monitoring of LHB coaches while on run.
- This will continuously measure and record data points for online monitoring of Axle Box Bearings and Wheel Slide Protection Device (WSPD) by making use of the Data Analytics in making the train journey safer and avoiding en-route coach detachments.
- The Integrated online monitoring system has been installed in LHB coaches and will monitor the WSPD and Axle Box temperature of LHB coaches on a continuous basis through mobile application and will alerts in case any fault noticed for timely preventive corrective action.
About Wheel Slide Protection Device:
- LHB coaches are provided with Wheel Slide Protection device (WSPD) to control the adhesion during brake application.
- WSP system is a combination of various electronic cards and is housed in electrical control panel units and is connected by means of various cables.
- This WSP system costs about Rs. 21 Lakh and for Annual Maintenance of this system including air brake costs nearly 3.5 lakhs for SS-II schedule and 7.5 lakhs for SS-III schedule.
- At present, the WSP system is being examined during Primary maintenance. However, there are several faults that can happen while the train is on run which can lead to wheel shelling which in turn causes several other problems such as spring breakage, grease oozing, damper leakage etc.
- To effectively address this problem, the new software developed by SCR’s in-house team will now be able to provide important data such as time of occurrence of the fault, how long WSPD system was in fault mode, provide pointers for reason of the fault and relay this information in the real time so that correct action can be taken to avoid wheel shelling.
Working of Online Monitoring System:
To monitor the status of the above two parameters, an Integrated Online Monitoring System is provided in LHB coaches.
- Integrated Online Monitoring System for Wheel Slide Protection Device & Axle Box Bearing Temperature in LHB Coaches is a unique system which not only facilitates Enroute monitoring of the WSP system with mobile application but also measures the axle box temperature at enroute.
- Any abnormalities noticed in both during the static & dynamic condition of the coach are immediately replicated in mobile application, so that immediate preventive action can be taken to avoid unusual occurrences.
- In addition to the safety of the trains & passengers, life of the vital rolling stock parts like Wheel, spring, dampers etc can also be enhanced.
- It is cost-effective (costing Rs. 2,000 approx) and consists of Printed Circuit Board (PCB), Micro Controller, LDR Sensors, Temperature Sensors and Wi-fi Router with power supply.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, SCR has appreciated the Team of Officers and Staff of Tirupati Coaching Depot for implementing the out of the box idea with minimal cost. He also said that this project will not only help in in enhancing the safety standards of LHB coaches and will also help in improving the life of rolling stock parts.
Source: South Central Railway-Press Release