South Central Railway has successfully transported more than 500 Kisan Rails, since the date of its commencement over the Zone. These 500 Kisan Rails have been operated from different Railway stations of the Zone covering the three states of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Maharashtra. Till date, More than 1.6 lakh tons of agricultural products have been transported to different parts of the country, majority being to the Eastern, Northern and North Eastern states.
- Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, SCR has complimented Team SCR for achieving the great feat and stated that it is a proud moment for the Zone for taking part in the Nation’s mission for assisting the farming sector.
- The Kisan Rail concept has been announced in the Union budget 2020-21 to double the income of the agricultural community.
- The initiative has been successfully started by the Indian Railways to provide the safe, secure and fast mode of transportation with least Enroute damages to the agricultural products.
- In addition, 50% concession in the freight charges are being accorded for transportation of agricultural products by Kisan Rails.
- Accordingly, on South Central Railway, first Kisan Rail has been flagged off on September 9th, 2020 from Anantapur station of Andhra Pradesh state, which also happens to be South India’s first Kisan Rail, while Telangana’s first Kisan Rail has been commenced on 8th February, 2021 from Warangal station.
- Kisan Rail from Maharashtra State over SCR jurisdiction has been started from Nagarsol station on 5th January 2021.
- Kisan Rails over SCR have witnessed huge success, right from the date of their introduction and have been instrumental in transporting different varieties of Vegetables & fruits, especially to different destinations located in farther states of the country.
- These trains have helped in providing a major support for the agricultural farmers / traders to market their produce especially during the pandemic time of Covid-19.
- In total, 359 Kisan Rails have been transported from Maharashtra state, 78 Kisan Rails from Andhra Pradesh and 63 Kisan Rails from Telangana.
- Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager of South Central Railway has expressed his satisfaction of Kisan Rail concept being a huge success across the Zone.
- He instructed the Officials to extend all possible assistance to the farmers and traders in transporting their products through Kisan Rails.
Source: South Central Railway-Press Release