South Eastern Railway in the current financial year has loaded 101.92 million tonnes of freight during the period from 1st April to 18th November, 2020 even after a slow start in the first quarter due to pandemic situation. The Covid-19 pandemic affected the freight loading performance of South Eastern Railway due to unprecedented fall in demand.
- In spite of nationwide lockdown, SER has continued with the freight transportation to keep the supply chain steady.
- With gradual improvement in overall situation, freight service of SER has bounced back and has crossed 100 million tonnes on 15th November, 2020.
- The main commodities of freight loading of SER were Iron Ore, Coal, Pig Iron & Finished Steel, Cement, Food Grains, Fertiliser etc.
- A number of concession/discount is being given by SER to make freight movement attractive through railways.
- With a view to attract new business, senior officers of SER have been regularly holding meeting with representative of different industries and freight customers.
- The formation of Business Development Units at Zonal and Divisional levels and increase in speed of freight trains have also contributed to SER’s remarkable freight loading performance.
South Eastern Railway (SER) has taken important initiatives to ease procurement norms by adopting directives issued by the Ministry of Railways. The policy of the Government of India has encouraged ‘Make in India’ with a view to promote manufacturing and production goods and services to ensure more income and employment.
- As per direction of the Stores Directorate of Railway Board, South Eastern Railway is actively encouraging and propagating the favourable policies amongst vendors of Indian Railways.
- Due to active steps taken by the Material Management Department of SER the MSE purchase by SER has increased to 32.75% for the current financial year (20-21) from 16% (in the year 19-20).
- In a tender if the foreign based item or the firm having local content less than 50% becomes L1, 50% of the order is placed on the local supplier as per the terms and conditions of tender.
- The indigenous sources within the margin of purchase preference are given opportunity to match the rate of L1/imported items.
- These steps are expected to generate employment and boost economy during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- This has been enforced strictly in SER so as to make procurement through indigenous suppliers.
Source: South Eastern Railway-Press Release | Image Credit: South Eastern Railway