- Guntakal station acts as a crucial junction handling the important trains that come from all directions. Guntur – Guntakal Section is a vital rail link connecting the important city of Andhra Pradesh State with Rayalaseema region and beyond South. This line passes through Guntur, Prakasham, Palnadu, Nandyal and Kurnool Districts connecting the hinterland areas.
- In order to provide seamless transportation and ease the congestion on this section, Guntur – Guntakal Doubling & Electrification project was sanctioned in the year 2016-17, for a distance of 401 Kms with an estimated cost of Rs 3887 Crores.
- So far, doubling & electrification between Nallapadu – Satulur (32 kms), Maddikera –Dhone (57 Kms), Betamcherla – Malkapuram (23 Kms), Munumaka – Savalyapuram (22 Kms) and Jaggambotla Krishnapuram- Cheekategalapalem (87 Kms) has already been completed and commissioned.
- With this, a total of 221 Kms of this project was completed and commissioned. Now, with the completion of another 10.7 Kms between Guntakal- Maddikera, a total of around 232 Kms stretch of doubling works with electrification has been completed on the different sections of Guntur – Guntakal section.
- Importantly, with the completion of doubling between Guntakal – Maddikera, the continuous stretch from Dhone to Guntakal now stands electrified along with a double line. The works in the balance sections of the project are in fast progress.
- Completion of doubling and electrification in these sections will not only decongest the section but also helps in increasing the average speed of the trains.
- This will not only facilitate introduction of new trains in the section, but also helps in operating trains bound towards Eastern parts of the country like Visakhapatnam, Calcutta and beyond from the Rayalaseema region of Southern Andhra Pradesh more efficiently.
Shri Arun Kumar Jain, General Manager, SCR complimented the Officials and staff of Construction Organisation & Guntakal Division who are involved in the completion of the project. He stated that the doubling and tripling projects that are under execution across the Zone have been given special importance. He stated that once the Guntakal – Guntur project is completed, it increases overall train handling capacity of the section and improves the train operations.
Source: South Central Railway- Press Release | Images Credit: SCR