South Central Railway has commissioned Double Line between Munumaka-Satulur for a distance of 16.6 Kms as part of Guntur-Guntakal doubling & electrification project, which was sanctioned in the year 2016-17, for a distance of 401 Kms with an estimated cost of Rs. 3887 Crores.
South Central Railway has commissioned the Double Line between Munumaka – Satulur for a distance of 16.6 Kms as part of Guntur – Guntakal Doubling & electrification Project, which was sanctioned in the year 2016-17, for a distance of 401 Kms.
This section falls majorly in Palnadu district of Andhra Pradesh. With the completion of doubling of this section, now, there will be continuous double line facility along with electrification for 176 Kms between Guntur – Jaggambotla Krishnapuram.
Guntur – Guntakal Section is a vital rail link connecting Guntur city of Andhra Pradesh State with Rayalaseema region and beyond South. This line passes through Guntur, Prakasham, Palnadu, Nandyal and Kurnool Districts connecting the hinterland areas.
Project in Brief:
- In order to provide seamless transportation and ease the congestion on this section, Guntur – Guntakal Doubling & Electrification project was sanctioned in the year 2016-17, for a distance of 401 Kms with an estimated cost of Rs 3887 Crores.
- So far, doubling & electrification between Nallapadu – Satulur (32 kms), Munumaka – Jaggambotla Krihsnapuram (122 Km), Betamcherla – Malkapuram (23 Kms) and Dhone – Guntakal (68 Kms) has already been completed and commissioned.
- With this, a total of 245 Kms of this project was completed and commissioned. Now, with the completion of another 16 Kms between Munumaka – Satulur, a total of around 261 Kms stretch of doubling works with electrification has been completed on the different sections of Guntur – Guntakal section.
- Importantly, with the completion of doubling of this section between Munumaka – Satulur, the continuous stretch from Guntur – Jaggambotla Krishnapuram and Dhone to Guntakal now stands electrified along with a double line.
- The works in the balance sections of the project are in fast progress.Completion of doubling and electrification in these sections will not only decongest the section but also helps in increasing the average speed of the trains.
- This will not only facilitate introduction of new trains in the section, but also helps in operating trains bound towards Eastern parts of the country like Visakhapatnam, Calcutta and beyond from the Rayalaseema region of Southern Andhra Pradesh more efficiently.
Shri Arun Kumar Jain, General Manager, SCR complimented the Officials and staff of Construction Organisation & Guntur Division who are involved in the completion of the project. He stated that the Zone is executing doubling and tripling projects across the Zone with continuous monitoring and a major part of the Guntakal – Guntur project is now completed.
Source: South Central Railway- Press Release | Image Credit (representational): South Central Railway