South Central Railway has commissioned electrification of 64 Km between Devarkadra – Krishna section, is a part of Munirabad – Mahabubnagar new railway line project. Trains can now be operated with electric traction via Mahabubnagar, Krishna towards South Direction and Vice-Versa.
South Central Railway has completed electrification of the existing rail network in Telangana region except for the newly laid rail lines. In the next step, as part of electrification of newly constructed lines, 64 route Kms between Devarkadra – Krishna has been electrified on mission mode.
The New Broad Gauge line between Krishna – Devarkadra has been completed and recently commissioned as part of Mahabubnagar – Munirabad new line project. The DEMU passenger train services were also commissioned in this new section recently in October, 2023.
Benefits from the Project:
- The section between Devarkadra and Krishna will now become the most accessible route to many important cities of Southern States like Raichur, Guntakal, Bellary, Hubli, Goa from Hyderabad.
- Iron ore and other bulk commodities such as Cement, Steel etc., which are now being moved in other routes can now be transported this alternate route.
- The project will help in expanding the rail network between Hyderabad and the Mining belt of Karnataka, benefitting both the Passenger and goods traffic.
- The section between Devarkadra – Krishna has been executed by South Central Railway as part of Munirabad – Mahabubnagar new line project, while the balance portion between Munirabad – Raichur is being executed by South Western Railway and is in fast progress.
- Once the entire project is completed, it reduces the distance between Secunderabad and Hubli, Goa and beyond considerably by more than 100 Kms.
- The operation of trains with electric traction helps in reducing the carbon emission and proves to be environment friendly. It helps the rail passengers by providing seamless movement of trains by avoiding change in traction power, reduces enroute detention of both the coaching and freight trains and improves the average speed of the trains.
- With regards to Railways, Fuel costs can be saved on a large scale and also helps in operational efficiency.
Shri Arun Kumar Jain, General Manager, South Central Railway has congratulated all the team of Officials and staff of Construction, Electrical wings and Hyderabad Division in completion of electrification of war footing. He opined that this has paved the way for operation of electric traction towards Southern regions with more convenience and different available routes.
Source: South Central Railway- Press Release | Images Credit (representational): South Central Railway