Guntur Division of South Central Railway (SCR), which has already exceeded the last financial year loading levels, continues its momentum of adding new streams of traffic to its freight basket. With the intensive efforts of the Business Development Unit (BDU) setup at Guntur Division, the Division has succeeded in starting loading of Jowar from Reddipalem station for the first time.
- In addition, the cement loading commenced from the Nandyal station after a gap of three years on the Republic Day.
- The first rake loaded with Jowar has been transported from Reddipalem station to Namakkal station in Tamil Nadu state which is 758 Kms from Reddipalem.
- The freight train consisting of 21 wagons has transported 1,329 tons of Jowar, thereby assisting in transporting the essential commodities at the earliest in large quantities and at reasonable freight charges.
- Jowar is produced in Guntur District on large scale (to the tune of approximately 2 lakh tonnes per annum).
- Now, transportation of Jowar by Rail will help the farmers/traders in marketing their produce with reduced en-route damages and hassle-free delivery at destinations.
- In addition, Bagged Cement has been transported from Nandyal station after a gap of three years to Vidisha station of Madhya Pradesh which is 1,398 kilometres from Nandyal.
- This freight train consisting of 21 BCN wagons has transported 1,326 tonnes of Cement.
- During this interim period of 3 years, bagged Cement has been transported by Road.
- The BDU team consistently pursued freight customers and explained various freight concessions being offered by Railways.
- Accordingly, customers have expressed their willingness and offered loading by Rail duly availing Station to Station Rate, which has provided a rebate of Rs 4.3 lakhs in the freight charges for the mini rake loaded from Nandyal to Vidisha.
- The initiatives of BDU team in transporting these new streams of traffic through Rail is likely to generate additional freight loading and revenue to the Railways, apart from being an environmental friendly mode of transportation.
- Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, SCR complimented Officials & staff of Guntur Division, especially the BDU team, for their continuous efforts towards tapping the new areas of freight business.
- He also reiterated to freight customers in this context to avail various concessions and rebates offered by Railways which is win-win situation to both freight customers and Railways.
Source: South Central Railway-Press Release | Image Credit: South Central Railway