South Central Railway has successfully commissioned the third line between Chirala and Bapatla Stations along with electrification. This section is a part of Vijayawada – Gudur tripling and electrification project.
The major thrust given to infrastructure projects by South Central Railway has made possible for the Zone to achieve major progress in Vijayawada – Gudur third line project.
This major tripling project along with electrification in the State of Andhra Pradesh is progressing well and accordingly, one more important section between Chirala – Bapatla for a distance of 16.7 Kms has been completed and commissioned by the Zone.
This helps in decongesting the saturated route and eases the train operations. This stretch of railway line falls under Prakasam and Bapatla Districts of Andhra Pradesh State.
- The section between Vijayawada – Gudur of Andhra Pradesh which is situated in the Grand Trunk route over SCR plays a vital role in connecting the Northern and Eastern parts of the country with the Southern states.
- This route has become highly congested with the steady increase in both Passenger and Freight trains.
- To decongest this crucial section, the Vijayawada – Gudur Third line project was sanctioned in the year 2015-16 for a distance of 288 Kms at an approximate cost of Rs 3246 crores. The work is being executed by Rail Vikas Nigam Limited.
- Works have been taken up simultaneously in all the stretches. So far, the sections between Chirala – Karavadi for 45 Kms and the continuous stretch between Gudur – Singarayakonda for 127 Kms have been completed and commissioned successfully.
- Now, with the completion of the 16.7 Kms section between Chirala – Bapatla, the total of 189 Kms of the total section stands electrified along with the third line.
Shri Arun Kumar Jain, General Manager, SCR has conveyed his appreciation to the entire Team of both Vijayawada Division and RVNL officials, who have been actively involved in completing the tripling and electrification works. He stated that Vijayawada – Gudur section by the virtue of its location is very crucial for train operations between Northern, Eastern and Southern parts of the country and hence the works in all the stretches are being carried out simultaneously. He also stated that once the project is completed, it eases the congestion of this busy route and also helps in improving the efficiency of train operations.
Source: South Central Railway- Press Release | Images Credit (representational): MoR