The Chennai Beach – Chennai Egmore 4th line project of Southern Railway is a significant infrastructure project aimed at enhancing the operational efficiency of Chennai city’s rail network and facilitating the introduction of additional passenger and freight services.
The project, covering the distance of 4.30 Km. Between Chennai Beach and Chennai Egmore, is carried out at a cost of Rs.279 Crores.The construction works are in full swing. MRTS services between Chennai Beach and Chintadripet have been temporarily suspended to facilitate this crucial infrastructure project.
Works completed recently:
- Working permission in the Defence Land has been obtained.
- Dismantling of tracks to facilitate the movement of machineries has been completed.
- Madras Medical College land has been acquired and construction of boundary wall has been completed.
- For laying of the 4th line, part of the Park Town station building has to be dismantled and the work of demolition has been completed.
- As a major portion of track passes along the Cooum river, the bank has been protected with a secant pile. Piling work along the Cooum River bank has been completed with 497 out of 651 piles being laid.
- Three out of 8 minor bridges along the Buckingham canal have been completed.
Works in progress:
- Foundation work is in progress for the Major Bridge across the Buckingham canal.
- Driving of piles for the boundary wall is in progress near the defence land.
- Retaining wall between Chennai Egmore and Chennai Park station is nearing completion.
- Platform Dismantling work at Chennai Fort, Park Town and Chennai Park stations near the running track is nearing completion.
- Construction of new Platform works is in full swing at Chennai Fort station.
- Collection of PSC sleepers and ballast for track is in progress.
Benefits of the Project:
- The completion of this project will enable increased frequency for long-distance and freight trains.
- The 4th line is pivotal for expanding services from Chennai Egmore and Tambaram terminal thus enhancing connectivity in the region.
- Upon completion, the 4th line between Chennai Beach and Chennai Egmore will significantly enhance the railway infrastructure, decongest existing lines, and bolster the operational efficiency of the Chennai suburban rail network.
- The Railway faces resistance from the RBI regarding the acquisition of a portion of land crucial for the 4th line between Chennai Beach and Chennai Egmore.
- Consequently, this may restrict the development to a single line for MRTS trains between Beach and Fort until Park Town due to the land constraint.
Source: Southern Railway- Press Release | Images Credit: Southern Railway