Share with your network
Kanniyakumari Railway Station is one of the busiest Railway Junction Stations in the Southern tip of India. Located on the Thiruvananthapuram-Nagercoil rail route, Kanniyakumari serves as an important stopover for tourists visiting the famous Kanniyakumari temple, Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Gandhi museum and other attractions. The station is categorised as “NSG-4” station and falls under the administration of Thiruvananthapuram Division of Southern Railway.
- Southern Railway has taken up the Station Redevelopment of Kanniyakumari in a bid to offer world class ambience and airport-like facilities for rail users.
- The following works have been undertaken as part of preliminary work in connection with station redevelopment:
- Topographical survey has been completed.
- Soil investigation for the project site is in progress
Award of contract:
- The work of “Redevelopment of Kanniyakumari Railway Station ” was awarded as an EPC contract to M/s Engineering Projects India Ltd, Chennai for an amount of RS.49.36 Cr on 23.11.2022.
- The completion period of the project is 19 months. The process of fixing an agency Project Management Services is underway.
Scope of Redevelopment work:
- Kanniyakumari station redevelopment project aims at upgrading Kanniyakumari into a world class Railway station and the works proposed are expansion and revamping of existing terminal building, platform up-gradation, construction of new emergency road connecting NH 27 on the eastern side and NH 44 on the western side of station, provision of one FOB connecting all the platforms, new RPF building, service room for Mechanical Staff, new Sub-Station building, arrival and departure forecourt and improvements to the circulating area etc.
- The area around the station building and circulating area will have lush green landscaping decorated with a variety of flowers. A fountain will also be provided to enhance the beauty of the Station Premises.
- The Terminal Building will be a G+1 structure of world class standards. The proposed total built-up area is 802 sqm which will be equipped with a ticketing area, Waiting Lounges, commercial area, dormitory etc on the ground floor.
- Various Railway facilities like Retiring Room, TTE Rest Room, Food Court etc are being planned on the First Floor. The entrance façade of the station building will showcase the vernacular architectural character of the region (Kanniyakumari).
- Since Kanniyakumari is a terminal station, all the platforms will be connected through the proposed Ground level Concourse. The concourse will have waiting Lounges and a commercial area.
- The concourse is designed to facilitate the segregation of incoming and outgoing passengers for hassle free movement.
Foot Over Bridge:
- It is also proposed to provide Foot Over Bridge (FOB) of width 5.0 metre at the end of the platform on the other side to connect all the platforms. A second entry is also proposed near the FOB for ease of entry/exit for passengers.
- A parking facility is proposed to be built to accommodate 104 Cars, 220 Two-wheelers and 20 nos Auto/Taxis. The circulating area will have a 4 lane wide road with access to car parking.
- The entry and exit roads are planned with drop off, drop-in, pick-up points etc for free movement of vehicles, pedestrians etc. Separate bus bay for arrival and departure passengers is also provided.
Source: Southern Railway- Press Release | Images Credit: MoR
Be the first to comment