In continuation to various developmental and infrastructural works undertaken during the lockdown, Western Railway has successfully completed a host of works at Atul station of Mumbai Division, which mainly comprised of construction of Atul Station building & 12 nos. of Railway Quarters for Staff at Atul Station, commissioning of Mega Ballast Depot having one-time capacity of 15000 M3 and PQRS SIDING With 02 R&D lines and 03 PQRS lines.
- According to a press release issued by Shri Sumit Thakur – Chief Public Relations Officer of Western Railway, with the combined efforts of various departments such as Civil Engineering, Operating, S&T and TRD, Electronic interlocking work at Atul Station was successfully completed in connection with Commissioning of PQRS & Ballast Sidings on 16th July, 2020 during a short period of 45 days from the date of CRS Approval on 2nd June, 2020, in spite of COVID-19 pandemic, Labour/Machinery crisis and heavy rain threat.
- With the commissioning of this new Atul Mega Ballast Depot, now it will be possible to fulfill Ballast requirements not only of Virar – Surat section but entire Mumbai division, which otherwise used to be transported all the way from Timbarva in Vadodara division and/or Udhan-JL section.
- This Mega ballast depot has capacity of 15000 m3as well as has capacity of 35 hoppers placement at a time.
- Apart from Atul ballast depot and PQRS siding, new station building, quarters for staff and two additional goods loop lines (R&D lines) have been commissioned that will give operational flexibility in terms of giving preference and stabling.
- Traffic Work Order (TWO) of 21 days was sanctioned for insertion of Turnouts, SEJ, Crossovers, Tamping, Glued joints insertion and EI and work is completed ahead of Two sanctioned.
- Shri Thakur stated that Virar – Surat Section of Western Railway is classified as Broad Gauge “A” Route having 414 Track KM at a sectional speed of 130 kmph for Rajdhani Express and comprising of section having 46 GMT on UP Main Line and 40 GMT on DOWN Main Line.
- New Atul Station Building, Quarters and Atul Siding is developed on this section, against Old Udvada Quarry and PQRS Depot at Valsad under DFCCIL fund under Utility shifting work.
Source: Western Railway-Press Release