Western Railway successfully completed the infrastructural work of 6th line on the 8.8 km stretch between Khar – Goregaon and achieved Speed Trial of 112 kmph over this section.
The work which commenced on 7th October, 2023 consisted of Pre-Traffic Work Order of 30 nights and Traffic Works Order (TWO) of 29 nights including Non – Interlocking work (NI) of 10 nights at 6 stations has been completed and all the train services have been fully restored from 6th November, 2023.
The entire work involved laying of 12 Turnouts and three Trap points on the existing 5th line and both the Fast lines. It also involved laying of 8 Turnouts on the new 6th Line and dismantling of existing nine Turnouts & three Trap points from the existing lines.
An independent connectivity to both 5th and 6th lines have been provided to Bandra Terminus Yard after slewing of 700m existing track and dismantling of five points including a diamond crossing. Heavy machinery such as T-28, UNIMAT, Duomatic, UTV, Hydraulic Cranes, JCBs etc. were deployed to carry out the work smoothly and efficiently.
Project in Brief:
- The work involved land acquisition of Private land as well as Government Land (BMC).
- Further, 27 new FOBs have been constructed in lieu of existing FOBs which were infringing the alignment.
- Also, existing railway structures which were obstructing were dismantled and new structures were constructed in lieu of them.
- This involved construction of new Railway Quarters of 192 flats, six new Electronic Interlocking (EI) buildings, two new Traction Substation (TSS) buildings, three Booking Offices etc.
- Around 607 Project Affected People (PAPs) were rehabilitated and provided with alternate allotments. Also, almost 1000 trees have been relocated & transplanted.
- This project will enhance the line capacity of Mumbai suburban section and will help to ease the congestion, improve punctuality and help to add more train services.
Source: Western Railway- Press Release | Images Credit: Western Railway