Indian Railways is accelerating the work of transforming major stations across the country into modern & world class stations. The transformation of Udhna Railway Station with the latest infrastructure and amenities will have a multiplier effect in the economy with creation of new jobs.
- Indian Railways selected 1275 railway stations across the country for upgradation & modernization under the Amrit Bharat Station Scheme, out of which 87 stations are in Gujarat.
- In line with the vision of Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, the facelift & the layout of Udhna station has been designed to transform the railway station as a vital place of convergence and to become the “New Rail of New India”.
- The project is intended to stand out by virtue of its international appeal in terms of both the architectural as well as the management aspects; it envisages the redevelopment of Udhna railway station as per international standards.
- According to a press release issued by Shri Sumit Thakur — Chief Public Relations Officer of Western Railway, Udhna railway station is being redeveloped into a modern state-of-the-art station at an approved cost of Rs 223.6 crore and is targeted to be completed in 24 months.
- The work is progressing in full swing. The Engineering Procurement & Construction (EPC) has been awarded. The Site Survey, GeoTechnical investigation and soil investigation works have been completed.
- The existing RPF Quarters on the west side have been dismantled and the work of new quarters is going on full swing with Ground Floor slab work completed and Roof slab work is in progress. The Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counters have been shifted and new PRS has been made operational.
- The Ground Floor superstructure column work, slab work and staircase as well as Lift walls work of the East side station building is in progress. The slab work of substation building and foundation work of underground tanks is also being done at a rapid pace.
- Also, levelling, excavation & laying of WMM is in progress for Road & Parking at East side Circulating Area. The Foundation work for New Foot over bridge is also in progress.
- The development of a new Station Building is proposed on both the East and West side of the railway station. The East and West side station Buildings will be integrated/ connected with each other through FOBs and an air concourse over the tracks and platforms to facilitate better connectivity.
- It will have adequate concourse / waiting spaces consisting of passenger amenities & facilities, above the platforms to avoid overcrowding on platforms. The concourse area will be spread across 2440 sq metres.
- The new station building has been designed with architectural ambience which will ensure that the entire station premises present a unified theme through appropriate facade, finishes, colours, materials, textures and overall look and feel.
- The Main Station Building at East will have one clock tower at circulating area which will be an iconic identity for the Station. The theme of the west side facade is similar to that of the surroundings of Udhna city.
- Udhna is strategically situated in proximity to key urban centres of Gujarat viz Surat, Vadodara, Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar. Udhna is well connected by trains with major cities and towns of Gujarat state as well as various parts of the country.
- This kind of upgradation & transformation of the station will provide the much needed impetus for trade & commerce and put Udhna as one of the major business & trading centres.
Source: Western Railway- Press Release | Images Credit (representational): MoR