- As a part of ongoing efforts to reduce trespassing incidents, a new escalator at Diva East was opened for public use by Mumbai Division, Central Railway.
- Due to space constraints and an existing road, initially the escalator was not feasible. However, proactive efforts were taken to make it feasible by providing one deck of 42m x 6m across the existing road and providing the landing parallel to road on the east side.
- New deck also provides additional space for ATVM which will reduce congestion on the old FOB. This has allowed Railways to close access to Level crossing taking a major step towards avoiding trespassing.
- This level crossing in Diva accounts for at least 6 incidents per month. In addition to loss of precious lives of citizens, such incidents also lead to loss in punctuality of both suburban and long distance trains.
- The west side escalator is also ready and will also be opened shortly after testing. Under guidance of DRM BB, one more single escalator is planned on Pf 1-2 at CSMT end which will further enhance convenience of commuters.
- General public is requested to use the escalators as trespassing is not only dangerous but also punishable under Railway Act,1989.
Source: Central Railway- Press Release | Images Credit: Central Railway