GEM 5 Star is the highest achievable rating level and IRSDC is elated that Habibganj Railway Station has been awarded with GEM 5 rating in GEM Sustainability Certification for Green, sustainable design and eco-friendly project by ASSOCHAM. The GEM Sustainable Building Certificate was handed over to Uday Borwankar, DRM Bhopal, Rajesh Mandaloi AGM/IRSDC, Sunil Bansal Developer by Chairman ASSOCHAM GEM Pankaj Dharkar on 02.07.2021 at the DRM office in Bhopal.
- ASSOCHAM’s GEM Sustainability Certification Rating Program aims to promote environment friendly green building design and construction.
- Through this initiative, ASSOCHAM awards the Sustainability Certification rating to housing, urban development, residential, commercial, hotels, offices, schools, colleges, universities, factory buildings and related developments.
- The GEM rating is awarded not only to Habibganj Railway Station building but also relocation structure i.e. the Construction office of West Central Railway and newly constructed 34 nos staff quarters.
- The railway station is designed and built as per Green Building parameters i.e. maximum use of natural light, better ventilation, use of recyclable materials, use of recycled water, tapping of solar power, rain water harvesting, environmental-friendly construction.
- Sustainable building design has been adopted and also climate conscious approach ensuring minimum harm to environment, while constructing and use of the building. Sustainable building design also ensures optimum use of energy, water, natural resources, less waste generation and creates space for healthy and comfortable living, as compared to conventional buildings.
“Habibganj Railway Station has been redeveloped with sustainability at its core. The station exemplifies world-class green building norms and best-in-class construction techniques, designed and developed to be at par with international airports. We are deeply humbled by the recognition and would like to extend our gratitude to ASSOCHAM. This achievement is a testament to our commitment of redefining the face of Indian Railways through redevelopment of railway stations that are not only futuristic but also embody sustainability” said S K Lohia, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, IRSDC.
The new station and other buildings has been designed and constructed strictly as per National Building Code. The salient Green initiatives adopted at the Habibganj Railway Station are as follows:
- Use of Solar Energy:
- About 70% of the electricity demand will be met by use of Solar Energy. The Railway Station total electrical demand is 950 KW, and the Solar plant (Photovoltaic cell on Platform shelters) design for Railway is 660 Kw on Resco model.
- Water Conservation:
- Rain water harvesting for Railway Station as well as Relocation Structures (Staff quarters, Construction Office, COW Office).
- Water management through metering, dual flush system, aerated water faucets and water audit. Total 500 KLD water is used at station generating 300KLD waste water.
- Waste water management through SIP, 100% waste water is recycled i.e. 300KLD and used for flushing, gardening and Washing of washable aprons.
- Use of Environment friendly Material:
- Material with limiting VOC content for paints, adhesive, sealant and coating used in Me project.
- CFCfree HVAC, Fire extinguisher and Suppression system used in the project.
- Recycled material i.e. Glass, Steel, Cement (Fly ash based), AAC blocks, Fly ash Bricks, RMC, tiles etc. also used. As far as possible, local material is used to avoid transportations.
- Earth excavated from site is used in the project and balance is given to other construction industry to avoid dumping.
- Conservation of forest: Minimum wood (hard or soft) used in the project.
- The Chemical, having Green Building Clearance, used for facility management.
- Environment Clearance:
- Prior Environmental Clearance is taken from Statutory Bodies i.e. MOEF/SEIM/PCB.
- No Ground water has been used for construction or operation of the station.
- Insulated roof panels for West Building and Air Concourse provided to improve the indoor environment.
- AAC(Autoclaved Aerated Concrete) blocks in the partition work in the Project used to improve indoor environment.
- Fire Protection:
- First Railway Station complying with NFPA (National Fire Protection Act) i.e. Buildings, Air Concourse and Subway having Fire sensing as well as Fire fighting facilities. All System would be monitored through SCADA.
- Efficient Solid waste management:
- The Solid waste management is also done as per the CIE (from MPPCB) and CTO is also applied. The dry and wet solid waste is collected though twin dust bins and disposed as per the norms of Municipal Corporation. The Single use plastic is banned at Habibganj Railway Station. Bottle crusher is also provided at Station. Manual Rag picking is also done.
- Construction Management:
- Best Construction Management Practice as per good industry practice i.e. use of best consultants for analysis and design, On Site Planning team, QA team and Safety Team.
- Use of Energy Efficient Electrical Equipments:
- Electrical Equipments such as LED lights, fan, geyser & AC used in Project are having 5 star BEE ratings.
- All the electrical, electronic equipment and sensors are connected with SCADA for better monitoring and control.
- Use of Natural Lights: Sky lights provided in the West Building and Air Concourse. Window opening provided as per norms for effective ventilation and natural light in all Buildings.
- Ventilation in Subways:
- Forced Ventilation System for better indoor air quality provided in both subways.
- Integration with Bhopal Metro Rail:
- Direct Connection with Proposed metro planned at Concourse level, this would ensure a seamless travel experience for users, promoting public transportation.
- State of the Art Parking facilities:
- State of the art parking, as per the norms ( Parking for 300 cars and 850 two wheelers, rickshaws, taxi and buses) consisting of reserve parking for differently able persons, charging point for electrical vehicle, dedicated lane for the Drop Off Zones, Paver blocks in parking areas, provided.
- Well Lit Footpaths for ease of pedestrians.
- Electric meters:
- Separate meters are provided for each component and block of projects including all vendors.
- Safety and security of passengers:
- 100% CCTV Monitoring of station area including Parking ensured. (176 Cameras are provided at station).
- Divyang friendly features:
- The Entire station i.e. both side terminal buildings, Air concourse, Subway and Platforms are divyang friendly i.e entry ramps, lifts and toilets etc. The Water Taps are also designed as per ADA (American Disability Act) compliance. The parking is also reserved for them.
Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation Ltd. (IRSDC) is a Joint venture company of RLDA, RITES and IRCON. IRSDC is at the core of Indian Railway’s mission of transforming the country’s railway stations into world-class 24×7 hubs and is the Nodal Agency and the main Project Development Agency (PDA) for the redevelopment of Railway stations. These redeveloped hubs will be called ‘Railopolis’, as it will attract huge investment and business opportunities.
To fast track the redevelopment of Railway Stations and harness the true value of commercial development, the following tools have been developed by IRSDC/MoR to streamline all processes for planning, designing, tendering, implementation and management of Railway Stations in India:-
- Model Agreements for Station redevelopment and Station Facility Management.
- Updation of Manual for Standards and Specifications for Railway Stations; brought out by MoR.
- Handbook for Master planning & Value Creation for Railway Station (Re) development.
- Harmonized Guidelines for Standards of Accessibility & Provisions of Facilities for Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan) in Indian Railways – by MoR.
- Form-based codes for Commercial Development within Railway Land, comprising of:-
- Codes for Station Area Layout Regulating Plans.
- Codes for Property Development Cards (Commercial Development).
- Codes for Architectural Design within Commercial Development.
- Codes for Green Buildings within Commercial Development.
- Handbook for Preparation of Layout Regulating Plans and Property Development Cards.
- Codes for up-gradation of Heritage Railway Assets (For full project lifecycle).
With the application of these tools developed by IRSDC/MoR, the availability of public area in Railopolis shall increase, thus making such redeveloped railway stations as true “City Centres”.
Source: IRSDC-Press Note | Image Credit: IRSDC