Along with providing a modern, fast, safe and cheap mode of transport to Nagpur, Maha Metro is changing the skyline of Nagpur. It has floated a tender for construction of a 20-floor tower near Zero Mile, Civil Lines. The Zero Mile Freedom Park station will be housed inside this building.
- The tower will have 18 storeys above the ground in addition to which there will be 2 basement floors and thus 20 floors.
- Airports Authority of India (AAI) has sanctioned a height of 89.81 meters for the building.
- The project has been conceived under parking-cum-commercial development theme of Maha Metro on a public private partnership (PPP) basis.
- The concessionaire will have to construct 2,90,000 square feet above the station.
- It comprises 4 parking floors, which includes 2 basements, one ground level and one mezzanine level, one station concourse level for ticketing and retail shops, one platform, one technical floor and 13 floors for commercial space above the station.
- The concessionaire can construct hotels, banquet halls, restaurants, offices, etc or a combination of these.
- The choice will be of the operator.
- The tower is being built near the iconic Zero Mile Stone monument, as it is the centre of India and the most important landmark of Nagpur.
- The monument was built in 1907 by the Great Trigonometrical Survey of India.
- It was used by the British Government to measure all distances.
- Metro has already developed four levels of parking – two in the basement, one ground floor and one mezzanine floor of which the ground floor will be the dedicated parking floor for the concessionaire while the remaining three floors will be interoperable between concessionaire and Maha Metro.
- The construction period is 3 years and the concessionaire will operate the tower for 60 years (including the construction period).
- The tender for ‘Development of Commercial Space above Zero Mile station including operation and maintenance of parking on public private partnership basis’ is live on Maha Metro’s e-tender portal and last date of submission of bids is September 21, 2021.
- The pre-bid meeting will be held on August 12, 2021, at Metro Bhavan, opposite Deekshabhoomi, Nagpur.
About the project:
- The Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as “Maha-Metro”), a joint venture of the Government of India (GOI) and the Government of the Maharashtra, for implementing the Nagpur Metro Rail Project in Nagpur City.
- Maha-Metro was incorporated on 18th February, 2015 with a vision to create safe, reliable, efficient, affordable, commuter friendly and environmentally sustainable rapid public transport system for the Nagpur City and Nagpur Metro Region.
- Additionally, Maha-Metro shall also undertakes certain property development across the metro rail alignment so that the overall city infrastructure can be uplifted and promoted.
- Nagpur Metro Rail Project will consist of 38.215 Km metro corridor, 38 stations and 2 Depots.
- The entire stretch will be divided into 2 alignments or corridors as follows:
|Alignment||Corridor||Rail Length||No of Stations|
|1||North –South Corridor||19.658 Km||18|
|2||East –West Corridor||18.557 Km||20|
Source: NMRCL-Press Release | Image Credit: Nagpur Metro