RailTel corporation of India, a Central Government Public Sector Undertaking under Ministry of Railways has achieved the milestone of 1 lakh Fiber To The Home (FTTH) broadband INTERNET users in Tamil Nadu. This service by RAILTEL is under the brand name Railwire’ and is quite reliable, affordable and secure.
- The highlight of this achievement is that over 50% of the users are from rural areas which include many far-flung remote villages where only Railwire broadband INTERNET service is available.
- RailWire with its 1650+ partners across Tamil Nadu are helping in penetrating affordable broadband to the underserved areas such as Tier 3 cities and rural hinterland.
- RailWire is now present in 36 districts out of 37 districts of Tamil Nadu.
- Introduction of broadband INTERNET facilities in rural areas is helping in accelerating digital progress, technological advancement and improving the quality of life of the people living in these areas.
- The benefits of the broadband connectivity to the rural population are immense with the convergence of voice, data and video.
- The availability of a robust and reliable broadband connectivity is most critical for the successful implementation of some of the key social sector schemes and programmes in rural areas by the Central and State governments on e-governance, education, health, employment and financial inclusion.
- RAILTEL is playing a major role in this digital transformation.
- Currently, RailTel has more than 4.6 Lac Rail wire subscribers in the country out of which around 50% are in rural areas across the country.
- INTERNET in villages is also helping in setting up Common Service Centres (CSCs) through Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLEs) which will make available services like booking of the travelling tickets (train,air,bus etc.), Aadhar Card, Voter Card, Mobile recharge, Electricity bill payment, Pan card, Incometax, Banking, insurance and many more.
- RailTel is using a model of collaborating with local entrepreneurs and creating sustainable livelihoods.
- Infact, RailTel played a pioneering role in developing this kind of collaborative model.
In an interaction programme with partners organized at Maduraiand Kanchipuram on 28 February 2022 to mark this achievement, Chairman and Managing Director (CMD), RailTel, Shri Puneet Chawla said “RailTel is committed to leverage its infrastructure to spur wired broadband and entrepreneurship in rural India. Rural Broadband deployment is one way of bridging the digital divide between rural and urban populations. The broadband connectivity in villages will be a key “enabler” for the socio-economic development in rural areas.”
- The partners at the interaction programme showed enthusiasm and requested Railtel for providing more value added services to serve their customers better.
- RailTel a “MiniRatna (Category-I)” Central Public Sector Enterprise, is one of the largest neutral telecom infrastructure providers in the country owning a Pan-India optic fiber network covering several towns & cities and rural areas of the country.
- Along with a strong are liable network of more than 60000 RKM of Optic fibr, RailTel has two tier III data centers as well.
- With its Pan India high-capacity network, RailTel is working towards creating a knowledge society at various fronts and has been selected for implementation of various mission-mode projects for the Government of India in the telecom field.
- RailTel offers a bundle of services like, MPLS-VPN, Telepresence, Leased line, Tower Co-location, Data center services etc.
- RailTel is also working with the Indian Railways to transform railway stations into digital hub by providing public Wi-Fi at railway stations across the country.
Source: RailTel-Press Release | Image Credit (representational): RailTel
Be the first to comment