Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw, Hon’ble Minister of Railways, Communication and Electronic & Information Technology inspects the working of ‘Kavach’ – Indian Railways Indigenous Train Protection System on 04 March, 2022 between Lingampalli – Vikarabad section of Secunderabad Division, South Central Railway. Shri Vinay Kumar Tripathi, Chairman and CEO. Railway Board. Shri Sanjeev Kishore, General Manager, South Central Railway and other Senior officials will also participate in the program.
Salient Features of Kavach:
- The Kavach is an indigenously developed Automatic Train Protection system by Research Design and Standards Organization (RDSO) in collaboration with Indian industry.
- South Central Railway has been closely associated with its implementation since the development stage.
- Indian Railways plans to extend the Kavach System across its entire rail network.
- Kavach provides enhanced safety, security and punctuality in train operation.
- Kavach will facilitate automatic braking for prevention of over-speeding of trains.
- Kavach is meant to provide protection by preventing trains to pass the signal at Danger (Red) and avoiding collision.
Part of Guntur – Guntakal Doubling & Electrification Project:
The Double line works along with electrification between Edduladoddi – Maddikera for a distance of 22.55 Kms has been completed and commissioned on 22nd February, 2022, as part of the Guntur – Guntakal Doubling & Electrification Project. The new double section has been commissioned with a maximum permissible speed of 90 Kmph.
- The Guntur – Guntakal Section is vital rail link connecting the coastal belt of Andhra Pradesh State with Rayalaseema region and beyond south. In order to provide seamless transportation and ease the congestion on this section, Guntur – Guntakal Doubling & Electrification project was sanctioned in the year 2016-17 for a distance of 401 kms with a cost of Rs. 3,631 Crore.
- This project will enhance the connectivity and will help in improving the Socio-economic condition of the region, particularly for the people of Guntur, Prakasam, Kurnool and Anantapur districts.
- As part of this project, doubling & electrification between Nallapadu – Satulur (32 kms) and Dhone – Pendekallu – Edduladoddi (36.6 Kms) and Kurichedu – Gajjelakonda (25.35 kms) totalling to 94 Kms has already been commissioned.
- Now, with completion of another 22.55 Kms between Edduladoddi – Maddikera stations, a total of 116.5 Kms of doubling works along with electrification has been completed on the Guntur – Guntakal section.
The Benefits of the Project are:
- Potential for running more number of trains between Guntur-Guntakal, particularly from Hyderabad/Nadikude side towards Rayalaseema region and beyond down South.
- Doubling of this section enhances overall train handling capacity in the Guntur/Vijayawada region, with the possibility of diverting more trains via Guntur to balance the rail traffic and reduce the congestion on the Grand Trunk route.
- Improves freight transportation by harnessing the potential of mineral rich Palnadu Region to transport its produce/goods to any part of the country.
Shri Sanjeev Kishore, General Manager, SCR congratulated all the Officials and staff involved in the completion of the project. He stated that the Guntur – Guntakal doubling and electrification project is one of the major projects undertaken by the zone which will help to ease the congestion and facilitate smooth operation of train services.
Source: South Central Railway-Press Release