With the rapid growth of passenger and freight traffic, it has become necessary on the part of South Eastern Railway (SER) to modernize and maintain the signaling and interlocking equipment at stations on the important trunk lines in order to carry and ease the traffic movement.
- During nationwide lockdowns in the wake of COVID-19, South Eastern Railway has taken major initiatives in the works of Signal & Telecom asset maintenance all over its network.
- The maintenance of assets has been done in the area of Multiple-Aspect:
- Automatic Signalling
- Route Relay and Panel Interlocking
- Automatic Train Control
- Signaling of Level Crossing
- Public Address System
- CCTVs at Stations
- Asset maintenance works in the field of Signal & Telecommunications include:
- Commissioning of Sliding Boom in level crossings for safety of the road users & Dual LVCD in stations for smooth train operations.
- Power Cable Meggering at different stations for uninterrupted power supply.
- The Signaling and Interlocking works have significantly ensured the safe and expeditious running of trains throughout the system.
- This maintenance of Signal & Telecom equipment provided with railways is a never-ending process and South Eastern Railway has been doing this during lockdowns in form of old assets replacement, modernization and their execution.
Source: South Eastern Railway- Press Release