The prime work of Electrical Department in railways is to look after Planning, Operation and Maintenance of all electrical assets which include Electrical Locomotives and Tractions. Maintenance of Traction Substation for uninterrupted power supply, maintenance of all lifts and escalators, air-conditioning equipments, maintenance of all electrical gadgets, fittings and fixtures, maintenance of pump houses etc. have been taken care of during the nationwide lockdown in the wake of Covid-19.
- Several Electrical Maintenance Depots are spread over South Eastern Railway to undertake maintenance of power installations.
- South Eastern Railway (SER) has taken stringent measures in the area of non traction energy conservation.
- This railway has achieved a saving of 12.3 million units non traction power (general services) and has resulted in monetary savings of Rs. 5.32 crore during the financial year 2020-21 upto November as compared to the corresponding period of previous financial year 2019-20.
- This landmark saving has been possible by taking measures like:-
- Provision of LED lights for all stations, service buildings, quarters, street light etc.
- Installation of 2.306MWp solar rooftop plants over SER.
- Implementation of 70% – 30% lighting system in stations over SER.
- Pre-paid meters have been installed at several places over SER.
- Reduction in contract demand at Tatanagar and Adra.
Rolling stock Maintenance:
South Eastern Railway (SER) during the Covid-19 hit year upto December just gone by, has yielded an exemplary performance in safety related works in maintenance of rolling stock stabled at different car sheds, workshops and various yard sidings all over its entire network.
- Nationwide lockdown since 25th March, 2020 and unlocked periods in the wake of Covid-19 pandemic could not refrain the field staff and officers of the Mechanical Department of South Eastern Railway from the maintenance work in their respective fields.
- The dedicated workforce observing all the Covid health protocols, has achieved remarkable performance.
- With the stringent measures undertaken by the Mechanical Department of South Eastern Railway, 127 mainline coaches including 26 AC and 101 non- AC and 16 numbers of LHB coaches have been turned out.
- 24 EMU/MEMUs have also turned out as against the target of 23.
- Despite the difficulties and severe constraints due to Covid-19 lockdowns, 1293 wagons ROH (Regular Overhauling) have been done by putting excellent efforts of all Divisions of South Eastern Railway in December 2020.
- ROH attention of December 2019 were 1289 wagons.
- The cumulative wagon ROH out turn during the current financial year has been 8567.
- Apart from this, regular rake sanitisation of all the trains of South Eastern Railway have been done.
- Two numbers of automatic sanitiser dispenser machines have been installed at EMU Car Shed at Tikiapara.
- The achievement of the Mechanical Department depends largely on the close monitoring from every corner as is done under the able guidance of Shri P K Mondal, Principal Chief Mechanical Engineer, South Eastern Railway.
Source: South Eastern Railway-Press Release