Wabtec Corporation has entered into an agreement with Intermodal Telematics B.V. (IMT), a Dutch company, to develop a railcar telematics platform using IMT technology. This platform will provide real-time information to railcar and tank container owners and operators.
- Wabtec (NYSE: WAB) announced its entrance into the railcar telematics market via an agreement with Intermodal Telematics B.V. (IMT), a Dutch company, under which Wabtec will create a railcar telematics platform using IMT technology.
- Wabtec’s new railcar telematics platform will deliver real-time information to railcar and tank container owners and operators, allowing them to turn rail cargo into smart, connected assets.
- Wabtec plans to begin offering this railcar telematics solution in the first quarter of 2024. The solution will be offered exclusively by Wabtec in North America and other heavy haul freight markets globally as set forth in the agreement.
- Wabtec railcar telematics will include sensors, gateways, wireless communications, and analytics. The technology will be offered for retrofit on existing fleets and also will make Wabtec’s current railcar components smarter by integrating solutions right from production.
- The new offering will include a comprehensive suite of solutions that track real-time location and monitor key attributes such as handbrakes, hatches, doors, and loaded/unloaded status for a railcar, as well as cargo temperature and pressure for a tank container.
Mr. Nalin Jain, Group President of Digital Intelligence at Wabtec, said “The rail industry is on the verge of a new era where the use of real-time data about the status and condition of cargo will be transformative to the customer experience and supply chain efficiency.” He further added that “Telematics builds on Wabtec’s rich history serving the freight car markets with next-generation solutions. Our innovative solutions will improve shipment visibility, increase on-time performance, and expand asset utilisation to make shipping freight by rail more competitive.”
- Wabtec Corporation (NYSE: WAB) is focused on creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world.
- The company is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for the freight and transit rail industries, as well as the mining, marine and industrial markets.
- Wabtec has been a leader in the rail industry for over 150 years and has a vision to achieve a zero-emission rail system in the U.S. and worldwide.
Source: Wabtec- Press Release| Image Credit: Wabtec
Join us for the upcoming Railway Innovation Summit with 400+ Top Rail & Metro Industry Leaders on 30th Jan, 2024 in New Delhi, India. Register here and participate in the summit.