Kolkata: Commission of Railway Safety (CRS) has extended the validation period for unveiling the phase-1 of the East-West Metro rail corridor by 3 months. CRS had inspected the first phase of the metro rail project in July, covering 5 km stretch between Salt Lake Sector V and Salt Lake Stadium, as per the sources.
- The metro stations on the corridor includes Salt Lake Sector V, Karunamoyee, Central Park, City Centre, Bengal Chemical and Salt Lake Stadium.
- The validation period for unveiling the first phase stretch ended on November 30, Kolkata Metro Railway on November 21 wrote to Chief Commissioner of Railway Safety (CCRS) S K Pathak (NF Circle Kolkata) seeking extension of the validation period for 3 months.
- A letter issued by CRS to Metro Railway read,”Considering the constraints on the part of Metro Railway, Kolkata, validity of sanction on the subject section, is hereby extended for a further period of three months beyond November 30, 2019 .i.e. up to 29 February, 2020.”
- The final date of inauguration of the phase-1 of East-West Metro has not been decided yet.
- Kolkata Metro Railway, CPRO, Indrani Banerjee said, we will tell you once we finalise inauguration date.
- The entire trial run was conducted smoothly, she said.
- The Kolkata Metro Railway Corporation Limited (KMRCL) is the implementing agency for the East-West Metro project from Salt Lake Sector V to Howrah Maidan, covering a distance of 16.5 kilometres.
- 5 rakes are being prepared for the commercial run.