Share with your network
The Indian Railways parcel business is all set to get a boost with the national transporter roping in e-retail giant Amazon to transport its goods by train.
- As a pilot project the railways will give Amazon space in two of its premium trains – the Sealdah Rajdhani and the Mumbai Rajdhani for a period of one month, as per a Railway Board letter issued earlier this month.
- It could be extended to 3 months depending on the feedback received.
- Zonal railways will earmark a space of 2.5 tonnes in the parcel van of the trains for loading/unloading of Amazon India consignments and the remaining space of 1.5 tonnes will be for railways, according to the agreement.
- However, Amazon will pay freight charges equivalent to the highest lease rate on the same train on pro-rata basis.
- 1 month advance freight charge will be levied on the e- commerce company by the railways.