Kerala Rail Development Corporation Ltd (KRDCL) will showcase the Semi High Speed Rail (SHSR) corridor project before captains of industry and policy makers on the opening day of the ASCEND 2020 Global Investors Meet. The Rs 66,405-crore Thiruvanathapuram-Kasaragod SHSR corridor, named as Silver Line, will be one of the major projects to be showcased at the 2-day meet.
- Silver Line is a project of K-Rail, a joint venture of Kerala Government and the Ministry of Railways.
- It has been cleared by the state Cabinet and also received in-principle approval of the Ministry of railways which enables pre-investment activities.
- There are investment opportunities in Transit Orient developments, Engineering-Procurement-Construction contracts worth Rs 38,000 crore for civil, electrical system works and supply and operation of rail coaches among others, said organisers of the investors meet.
- They said, opportunity also exist for any investor to directly invest in the project SPV.
- Trains running on Silver Line will be covering the 532 km end-to-end distance from Kochuveli in the state capital to Kasaragod by 4 hours, which now takes around 12 hours.
- The completely green project also promises a set of long-term benefits like sharply reducing the road congestion caused by private vehicles and freight carrying trucks and significantly bringing down air pollution from emissions by petroleum fuel-driven motor vehicles.
- The project will generate over 50,000 jobs during its construction and 11,000 people will get employment on completion, according to officials.