The Andhra Pradesh government has decided to appoint a new consultant for preparing a revised Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the Visakhapatnam Metro Rail project. The government also decided to cancel the single bid received from Essel Infra and Consortium for developing the 42.55-km project in public-private partnership mode at a cost of Rs 8,300 crore.
- Municipal Administration and Urban Development Secretary Jamjam Syamala Rao said,”The bidder did not offer much cost reduction. Moreover, the scope of the project has changed substantially in view of the new requirements suggested by Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy.”
- He said, accordingly, the government has decided to appoint a new consultant for preparing a revised DPR.
- Official sources said,”We will get a revised DPR prepared and send it to the Centre for approval. No timelines have been set for the project as of now.”
- The Visakhapatnam Metro Rail project was mooted in 2014 in accordance with the AP Reorganisation Act and the Centre gave in-principle approval in 2015.
- The government has decided to issue a new tender for Visakhapatnam metro through open tender, while Amaravati Metro Rail Corporation officials are preparing to handle the tenders.