Bentley Systems, Incorporated, the infrastructure engineering software company, has announced several projects from India, South Korea, and Southeast Asia as finalists in Bentley’s 2023 Going Digital Awards in Infrastructure.
The annual awards program honours the extraordinary work of Bentley software users advancing infrastructure design, construction, and operations throughout the world. Twelve independent jury panels, representing 12 award categories, selected the 36 finalists from over 300 nominations submitted by 235 organisations from 51 countries.
Representatives from the finalists’ organisations will present their projects to a panel of independent judges to determine the winners and meet with global press and industry executives at the 2023 Year in Infrastructure and Going Digital Awards event, which will be held at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, October 11-12, 2023. Visit the site to learn how these extraordinary infrastructure projects are leveraging digital advancements to achieve unprecedented outcomes.
India, South Korea, and Southeast Asia projects named as finalists for the 2023 Going Digital Awards are:
Rail and Transit:
- AECOM Perunding Sdn Bhd – Johor Bahru–Singapore Rapid Transit System Link, Malaysia and Singapore
- IDOM – Value Engineering Stage for Detailed Design & Supervision of the Rail Baltica Project, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania
- Italferr S.p.A. – New High Speed Line Salerno – Reggio Calabria, Battipaglia, Campania, Italy
The Johor Bahru–Singapore Rapid Transit System (RTS) is a cross-border project that will ease traffic congestion between Malaysia and Singapore. AECOM used Bentley applications to optimise planning, design, and construction with automated workflows, saving 50% in drafting time. They also developed a reality mesh from drone-captured images, accelerating survey and processing fivefold.
- Hyundai Engineering – Automated Design of Civil and Architectural Structures with STAAD API, Seoul, South Korea
Hyundai Engineering sought to streamline information exchange and automate the design of chemical and electrical power plants. They used Bentley’s STAAD structural application to automate design and used artificial intelligence to create designs through machine learning predictions. The integrated digital solution accelerated front-end engineering design by 30% and accumulated a database of 1,680 scenarios.
L&T Construction – Construction of 318 MLD (70 MGD) Wastewater Treatment Plant at Coronation Pillar, New Delhi, India:
L&T Construction delivered Coronation Pillar, a new wastewater treatment plant that treats 318 million litres of sewage per day. They selected STAAD to model multiple designs with various loading configurations and applications, achieving a land savings of 17.8% and concrete savings of 5% while reducing the time to achieve an optimal solution by 75%.
RISE Structural Design, Inc. – Dhaka Metro Rail Line 1, Dhaka, Bangladesh:
Upon completion, MRT-1 will be Bangladesh’s first underground metro line. RISE is designing the stations along MRT-1, and faced challenges given the unique steel roof geometry and varying station elements. They selected STAAD to model and analyse the steel roof structure and reinforced concrete stresses, improving data synchronisation by 50% and reducing modelling time by 30%.
Water and Wastewater:
- Project Controls Cubed LLC – EchoWater Project, Sacramento, California, United States
- Geoinfo Services – Achieving Drink from Tap 24×7 Water Supply System for Emerging Economies, Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh, India:
Geoinfo Services planned and designed a pressurised city water supply scheme to provide 24-hour access to clean water and reduce non-revenue water by 35%. They selected OpenFlows to generate a digital twin, reducing design time by 75%. The optimised network is saving USD 1.5 million in annual operating expenses while eliminating 347 tons of carbon emissions per year.
L&T Construction – Rajghat Multi Village Rural Water Supply Scheme, Ashok Nagar and Guna, Madhya Pradesh, India:
Rajghat’s multi village rural water supply scheme will provide irrigation and power generation to residents via a 7,890-kilometre piping system, including 698 overhead tanks and ancillary pumps and equipment. Leveraging Bentley applications, the team completed engineering within four months, when conventional methods could have taken 12 to 13 months to finish. Working in an open digital environment saved 50% in modelling time, increasing productivity by 32 times.
Bridges and Tunnels:
- China Railway Changjiang Transportation Design Group Co., Ltd., Road & Bridge International Co., Ltd., Chongqing Expressway Group Co., Ltd. – Comprehensive Application of BIM-based Digital and Intelligent Design and Construction for the Liaozi Grand Bridge, Chongqing City, China
- Collins Engineers, Inc. – Digital Twins and Artificial Intelligence for Historic Robert Street Bridge Rehabilitation, St. Paul, Minnesota, United States
- WSP Australia Pty Ltd. – Southern Program Alliance, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Dura Vermeer Infra Landelijke Projecten, Mobilis, Gemeente Amsterdam – Bruggen en Straten Oranje Loper, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
- Laing O’Rourke – New Everton Stadium Project, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom
- Laing O’Rourke – SEPA Surrey Hills Level Crossing Removal Project, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Arcadis – RSAS – Carstairs, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Mott MacDonald – Standardising Delivery of Phosphorus Removal Schemes for the UK Water Industry, United Kingdom
- Phocaz, Inc. – CAD Assets to GIS – A CLIP Update, Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Facilities, Campuses, and Cities:
- Clarion Housing Group – Twins: Creating a Golden Thread across Digital Estates, London, United Kingdom
- Port Authority of New South Wales – Port Authority of New South Wales: A Case Study in Digital Transformation, New South Wales, Australia
- vrame Consult GmbH – Siemensstadt Square – Digital Campus Twin in Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Process and Power Generation:
- MCC Capital Engineering & Research Incorporation Limited – Green and Digital Plant Construction Project of Linyi 2.7 Million Tons of High-Quality Special Steel Base, Linyi, Shandong, China
- Shanghai Investigation, Design & Research Institute Co., Ltd. – Digital Asset Management of Hydropower Projects Based on Digital Twins, Liangshan, Yibin, and Zhaotong, Sichuan and Yunnan, China
- Shenyang Aluminum & Magnesium Engineering & Research Institute Co., Ltd. – Digital Twin Application Project of Electrolytic Aluminum Engineering of Chinalco China Resources, Lvliang, Shanxi, China
Roads and Highways:
- Atkins – I-70 Floyd Hill to Veterans Memorial Tunnels Project, Idaho Springs, Colorado, United States
- Hunan Provincial Communications Planning, Survey & Design Institute Co., Ltd. – Hengyang-Yongzhou Expressway in Hunan Province, Hengyang and Yongzhou, Hunan, China
- SMEC South Africa – N4 Montrose Interchange, Mbombela, Mpumalanga, South Africa
Subsurface Modelling and Analysis:
- Arcadis – South Dock Bridge, London, United Kingdom
- OceanaGold – Validation of Digital Management Tools for OceanaGold’s Waihi Tailings Storage Facility, Waihi, Waikato, New Zealand
- Prof. Quick und Kollegen GmbH – Deutsche Bahn Neubaustrecke Gelnhausen – Fulda, Gelnhausen, Hessen, Germany
Surveying and Monitoring:
- Avineon India P Ltd. – Provision of Services on the Generation of CityGML Models of Kowloon East for the Lands Department, Hong Kong SAR, China
- Italferr S.p.A. – The Digital Twin for Structural Monitoring of St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
- UAB IT logika (DRONETEAM) – DBOX M2, Vilnius, Lithuania
Transmission and Distribution:
- Elia – Digital Transformation and Connected iTwins in Smart Substation Design, Brussels, Belgium
- PowerChina Hubei Electric Engineering Co., Ltd. – Full Life-cycle Digital Application on Xianning Chibi 500kV Substation Project, Xianning, Hubei, China
- Qinghai Kexin Electric Power Design Institute Co., Ltd. – 110kV Transmission and Transformation Project in Deerwen, Guoluo Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Qinghai Province, China, Gande County, Guoluo Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Qinghai, China
Mr. Chris Bradshaw, Bentley Systems’ Chief Marketing Officer, said, “We are so excited to be back in Singapore to present the Going Digital Awards finalists in front of our users and those attending virtually, as well as invited press and analysts at the 2023 Year in Infrastructure and Going Digital Awards event. These projects reflect how organisations have improved their workflows by embracing digital technologies to maximise efficiency and cost savings. I congratulate the finalists for advancing infrastructure intelligence by adopting Bentley Infrastructure Cloud, iTwin Platform and products, and Bentley Open Applications, and I wish them success on their future projects.”
About Bentley Systems:
Bentley Systems (Nasdaq: BSY) is an infrastructure engineering software company. We provide innovative software to advance the world’s infrastructure – sustaining both the global economy and environment.
Our industry-leading software solutions are used by professionals, and organisations of every size, for the design, construction, and operations of roads and bridges, rail and transit, water and wastewater, public works and utilities, buildings and campuses, mining, and industrial facilities.
Our offerings, powered by the iTwin Platform for infrastructure digital twins, include MicroStation and Bentley Open applications for modelling and simulation, Seequent’s software for geoprofessionals, and Bentley Infrastructure Cloud encompassing ProjectWise for project delivery, SYNCHRO for construction management, and AssetWise for asset operations. Bentley Systems’ 5,000 colleagues generate annual revenues of more than $1 billion in 194 countries.
Source: Bentley- Press Release | Image Credit (representational): Bentley Systems