Kolkata Metro’s East-West Metro project in between Howrah Maidan to Esplanade has reached its final stage. Metro authorities under the able leadership of Shri P. Uday Kumar Reddy, General Manager has been constantly monitoring the progress of this project. Shri Reddy has also been inspecting the project sites to evaluate the exact status of work on a regular basis.
General Manager inspected Howrah Maidan to Esplanade stretch of East-West Metro Corridor (Green Line) on 17.11.2023. During this inspection, Shri V. K. Srivastava, Principal Chief Engineer, Metro Railway and Managing Director, KMRCL as well as other senior officials of Metro Railway and KMRCL accompanied him.
Shri Reddy started the inspection from Howrah Maidan Metro station in the morning. He travelled up to Esplanade Metro station under the river Hooghly in a Metro.
- On his way to Esplanade, Shri Reddy stopped at each station and inspected:
While evaluating the progress of works of all the underground stations from Howrah Maidan to Esplanade on-the-spot, he also inspected ventilation and air-conditioning systems of these stations.
Shri Reddy expressed his satisfaction after seeing the progress of works and advised all to complete all the pending jobs within the deadline.
Brief info about East-West Metro Corridor:
- East-West Metro Corridor of Kolkata is a fully Central Government funded project, which will run from Salt Lake Sector V to Howrah Maidan, a stretch of 16.6 kms having 12 stations in-between.
- East-West Metro corridor was inaugurated on 13.02.2020 and was opened to the public on 14.02.2020 with six newly constructed state of the art Metro Stations from Salt Lake Sector V to Salt Lake Stadium.
- Later on 04.10.2020, it was further extended up to Phoolbagan Metro Station, a total of 6.97 Kms. The 8th Metro station of East-West Metro, i.e.Sealdah Metro will be inaugurated on 11.07.2022.
- In the Union Budget 2022-2023, Metro Railway has been allocated a whopping amount of Rs.1380.06 Crores for execution of on-going and new projects and for safety and infrastructure augmentation work.
- Different on-going Metro Railway projects in Kolkata and adjoining areas have been progressing smoothly and nearing completion at a super fast pace.
Source: Kolkata Metro- Press Release | Images Credit (representational): Kolkata Metro