- The MoU was signed in presence of Hon’ble Chief Minister of Assam Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma and Shri Chetan Kumar Shrivastava, General Manager of N. F. Railway. The design for the second entry will be ready within the next 4 months and it will be developed as a part of the Guwahati Station Redevelopment project.
- Apart from providing easy accessibility to passengers, this second entry will reduce the traffic congestion within the city.
- The Guwahati Railway Station has always been served by only one entry from the North side or the Pan Bazar side of the city. In order to improve the station and its entry, N. F. Railway approached the Assam Government for providing the suitable land which was agreed by the State Government.
- The land of ASTC at Paltan Bazar side, measuring 6682.50 square metres, was found suitable for constructing the second entry to the Guwahati Railway Station. Inexchange, an equal money value Railway land measuring 27843.75 square metres at North Jalukbari shall be handed over to ASTC.
- N. F. Railway has already appointed consultants for development of second entry and planned for overall development of Guwahati Railway Station. Roof plaza will be provided over the railway track to create additional space at the station for providing sitting arrangements and kiosks etc. for passengers.
- The station will be developed with a ‘green building’ concept with the installation of solar panels, waste management, water management etc.
- In order to provide adequate amenities to the passengers, the station will come up with more facilities like lifts, escalators, modern signages, toilets, spacious waiting hall, parking facilities along with charging points of electric vehicles and facilities of fooding and lodging etc.
- Guwahati, being the biggest city of the Northeast region, also serves as the gateway to the North-eastern states of India. Lying in the heart of this city, the Guwahati Railway Station has been serving as the connectivity hub for the region.
- With these newly added facilities, the station will usher in unprecedented all-round development to the people of Guwahati.
Source: Northeast Frontier Railway- Press Release | Images Credit: Northeast Frontier Railway