The construction works for metro rail project in Srinagar will start by 2020. The Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the Metro rail project has been prepared. The metro rail project, covering 25km in length, in Srinagar will be completed in two phases.
- The Metro rail project in Srinagar will cost around Rs 5,000 crore.
- Metro Man E Sreedharan has been appointed as the Principal Advisor of the Srinagar Metro Project.
- The Srinagar Metro will have 24 stations comprising of two corridors.
- The first corridor from HMT (Shalteng) to Indra Nagar will be 12.5km long.
- The second corridor from Osmanabad to Hazuri bagh will also be 12.5km long.
- The metro rail in Srinagar will be entirely elevated and will be operational by 2024-25.
- The proposed first corridor of Srinagar Metro will start from HMT Junction and culminate at Pampore Bus Stand with Batmaloo, LalChowk, BadamiBagh and PanthaChowk as important destinations in between.
- The second corridor-II will start from Usmanabad to Airport with Soura, Jama Masjid, RamBagh as important station in between.