Surat: Construction of the first phase of a 40.35 kilometre long metro rail project in Surat will begin in June 2020 and is expected to be completed in 4 years, the state government announced on December 8, 2019.
- A government release informed, the first phase of the Surat Metro rail project will have two routes.
- First route will be between Sarthana and Dream City, covering a distance of 21.61 kms, with 14 elevated stations.
- The other route will be from Bhesan to Saroli, covering a distance of 18.74 kms, with 18 elevated stations.
- In February 2019, the Union government had approved the state’s request of Rs 12020.32 crore for the project, which it is required to finish in 5 years, it said.
- Mr.S S Rathod, Managing Director of Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation, which will undertake the project, as saying the construction work will begin in June 2020 and is targeted for a June 2024 finish, the release quoted.
- He said, detail design work for the project has been undertaken by the GMRC and tender for the same will be issued soon.
- Chief Minister Shri. Vijay Rupani held a review meeting on Sunday on the progress of the project, the release said.