Kanpur: Construction work for the first phase of the Metro rail project in Kanpur will start today. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Shri Yogi Adityanath will inaugurate the construction work today around 1PM (IST) at IIT-Kanpur Main Gate (construction site location).
- Along with Hon’ble CM, Hon’ble Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Housing and Urban Affairs Shri Hardeep Singh Puri ; Chief Secretary, GoUP; Principal Secretary (Housing), GoUP; Municipal Commissioner, Kanpur and senior officials of UPMRCL would also be present at the inaugural.
- After the inaugural event at the construction site, Hon’ble CM Shri Yogi Adityanath will address the dignitaries and guests at IIT- Kanpur’s Auditorium.
- The contract to build the viaduct of a 8.728 km long elevated section of the priority corridor was awarded to Afcons Infrastructure Ltd. on 13.09.2019 and the piling work will begin in full swing from 15th Nov, 2019.
- The 8.728 km long Priority Section includes stations at the IIT- Kanpur, Kalyanpur Railway Station, SPM Hospital, CSJM University, Gurudev Chauraha, Geeta Nagar, Rawatpur Railway Station, Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital, Moti Jheel.
- The estimated expenditure towards this Priority Section is about 200 Crore.
- It is estimated that metro operations on the priority corridor will commence within a span of around 2 years.
- The construction of Depot of Kanpur Metro Rail Project’s Corridor-1 will be done at the Government Polytechnic’s land.