Hyderabad: Telangana Municipal Administration Minister KT Rama Rao and Transport Minister P Ajay Kumar flagged off Metro Rail Services on the 1.5-km stretch from Hitec City to Raidurg today. Regular passenger service would start a few hours later.
- Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety (CMRS) Janak Kumar Garg inspected the section and conducted the mandatory check and safety tests over the last two days and issued a safety certificate for opening of the stretch.
- The opening of stretch would provide a major relief to a large number of employees working in IT/ITES and other establishments and that an initial additional ridership of about 40,000 is likely.
- The elevated Hyderabad Metro Rail project is the country’s second largest metro rail network, next only to Delhi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had inaugurated the 30-km stretch between Miyapur and Nagole out of the 72-km-long elevated Hyderabad metro rail project in November 2017.
- In September 2018, another 16-km stretch between Ameerpet and L B Nagar was commissioned.
- On March 20 this year, a 10-km stretch between Ameerpet and Hi-Tec City was inaugurated, covering 56 km out of the 72-km project.
- Around 4 lakh passengers commute by the metro daily.
- The Hyderabad Metro rail has carried 12.5 crore passengers in the last 2 years.