SRM University AP is working on a flagship project to develop hydrogen-infused railway engines in partnership with the Indian Railways, its Pro Vice- Chancellor D Narayana Rao said. The university has plans to open another centre of excellence, the Jal-Janak Rail, a hydrogen-powered fuel cell-based train that would be the flagship project of SRM University AP.
- Addressing a 2-day Industry-Academia Summit organised by the University in association with Confederation of Indian Industry, he said they have also tied up with the Amara Raja Group to establish the SRM-Amara Raja Centre of Excellence for developing energy storage devices.
- Topics like artificial intelligence and machine learning, electronics and semi-conductor, new and renewable energy, additive manufacturing, healthcare and pharma were being discussed during the summit.
- Earlier this month, Railway Minister Shri Piyush Goyal had said the Government is working on developing Hydrogen powered Suburban Train.
- The details will be worked out based on the response of Expression of Interest (EOI), which has been floated, he said.
- Hydrogen is planned to be sourced from industry in India, he said.
- Shri Piyush Goyal in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha had said,”Hydrogen production is not planned by Indian Railways. The decision on deployment of hydrogen propelled trains for long distance routes will be based on the development of the technology.”