Kochi: The KMRL (Kochi Metro Rail Limited) has increased the speed of trains plying along the Maharaja’s College-Thykoodam stretch from Tuesday. The move will not only save time for commuters but will also lead to an increase in the frequency of trains on the route.
- The decision was made after Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety (CMRS) accorded sanction for the same to KMRL.
- After this decision, trains will run at an increased speed.
- Previously, the trains were running at 25 kmph in the new section.
- The maximum achievable speed of a metro train in Kochi is 80 kmph and at stations, the speed limit is 50 kmph.
- KMRL MD, Alkesh Kumar Sharma said,”We are excited to run the train at maximum speed in the new stretch. This is a gift for the people of Kochi. Now people can save both money and time.”
- He added, now one can travel from Aluva to Thykoodam in just 44 minutes without any hassles.
- Earlier, the journey time was 53 minutes.
- The frequency of trains will be improved from 14 minutes to 7 minutes.
- KA Manoharan, CMRS, KMRL and Commissioner of Railway Safety Southern Circle, Bengaluru conducted the inspection on September 30 and October 1.