Kolkata Metro is set to extend its services on weekends while also increasing the number of rakes travelling between North 24 Parganas district’s Noapara and Dumdum from July 1, a circular issued by the Metro Railway authority said.
- It said, as many as 236 metro rakes (118 pairs) will run between the two terminal stations– Dumdum and Kavi Subhash — on Saturdays, 12 more than the current number.
- 124 rakes (62 pairs) will be at service on Sundays instead of 110 rakes at present.
- 3 more trains between the Dumdum and Noapara stations will be added on weekdays.
- 7 and 9 more trains will be added on Saturdays and Sundays, respectively.
- The metro services on Sundays will also start at 9 a.m. instead of 9.50 a.m.
- Currently, 284 (142 pairs) rakes are at service in the Dumdum-Kavi Subhash route on weekdays.
Kolkata Metro Update : Underground Trials conducted on East – West Metro
Date: June 3, 2019
Recently , The First Underground trial was conducted on the East-West Metro from Phoolbagan to Sealdah on 31st May .
About the Trials :
- The six-coach train arrived at the station from the Salt Lake depot at 12.30pm.
- After picking up some officials, the train proceeded through the tunnel and stopped 500m short of Sealdah station.
- The train switched tracks at a crossover point and returned to Phoolbagan.
- It then went beyond the underground tunnel to the elevated stretch that leads to the Stadium station. From there, the train again entered the underground portion and reached Phoolbagan, where the officials got off around 1.20pm. The total distance travelled on Friday was around 3km.
- The trial was aimed at checking for design defects in the tunnel and the alignment between the train doors and the platform.
- The test passed on both counts .
- Engineers and officials on board the rake celebrated the completion of the trial run .
- East-West Metro will run between Sector V and Stadium stations, a distance of 5.5km with six stations on the stretch, in the first phase that is expected to be operational by July.