Kolkata: The first phase of the East-West metro project will be operational by last week of October. The metro rail would connect Sector V to Howrah Maidan in the first phase East-West metro project, covering distance of about 5.7 km.
- The final preparations by the Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Limited (KMRCL) are being carried out in full swing.
- KMRCL is now focussing on the areas as per the recommendations given by the Commissioner of Railway Safety (CRS) after an inspection in July this year.
- The experts have asked the KMRCL to fix the defective bearings on the piers that hold the viaduct on which the rail tracks have been laid.
- Another recommendation of the CRS was for upgradation of the software of the Train Control and Management System (TCMS).
- Sources said that the KMRCL was asked to complete the remaining work by 20 October.
- The Metro authorities had conducted a mock run for 7 days in August this year.
- After a high-level meeting held recently, the Metro railway authorities have decided to begin the second round of demo-runs.
- An official said that the 3-day mock run will be conducted in the next week, while simultaneous preparations will be carried out by the KMRCL.
- The official added, if everything goes according to the plan, the inauguration can take place in the last week of October.